Old October 11th 14, 03:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

Default Shoot out: Smart phone vs Canon EOS 5D Mark III

On 10/10/2014 9:18 PM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Ron C wrote:
On 10/10/2014 12:00 PM, philo wrote:
On 10/10/2014 09:02 AM, Ron C wrote:
Just for the heck of it, here's an article that might make some folks
wonder why bother spending big bucks on a DSLR when a smart
phone will do.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...amera-vs-dslr/

The end of closing line of the article kind of says it all:
~~
[ ... ] remember this photography aphorism: "Amateurs worry about
gear; professionals worry about money; masters worry about light."
~~

==
Later...
Ron C
--

The other day I was trying to come up with a term reflecting the quality
of one's photos vs the amount of money they've spent on gear.

I'm sure we all know mediocre photographers with expensive camera and
great photographers who own a $90 point and shoot.

Seems one might draw a similar parallel with photo editing software. ;-)

In fact though, I'll bet most of us know very few, if
any, really good photographers who only own a $90 P&S.
I've never met even one!

I know one well, though Her camera is not quite a P&S, it's not even
close to a professional camera. My yo4unger daughter, uses a Nikon D70
with a kit lens. She has an agent selling her photos. Her share is
between $50 & $750 per image. She has no idea what they are selling for,
and doesn't care. She looks at it as found money. Her day job keeps her
very busy. So she has turned down several offers to prepare a one person
show.
I wish I had 10% of her artistic abilities.

And while there may indeed be plenty of mediocre folks
with expensive equipment and software, there is little
question that for most people better tools do help them
1) get better pictures, and/or 2) learn more about
photography on their way to becoming more than just
another mediocre photographer.

Expensive tools (hardware or software) are more of a
direct indication of how dedicated a person is to
photography. In time, with experience, that will
eventually equate also to the quality of their work.

And to put it mildly, a lifetime spend with poor tools
won't likely ever result in the development of a really
good photographer.

See my comment above. Your statement is a valid generalization, but
there are exceptions.

Neither does the first afternoon, or
may be the first year or even decade, with good
equipment make a great photographer.

But almost every craftsman develops a taste for fine
tools.

Yup.

--
PeterN