Old February 25th 05, 05:48 PM
rafe bustin

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:03:02 +0000, Christopher Woodhouse
wrote:

After a few false starts with 4870's and Microtek i900's I'm using the Epson
F3200. I'm getting excellent quality for 6x6 negatives at 16" square and
would obviously expect even better still with the larger negative. The
scanning software plays a big part. Vuescan does mono best, the Epson seems
to make effortless work of colour negatives and Silverfast seems best for
Slides. Not quite the most minimalist approach!

I worked out for critical resolution I would need 5lp/mm on the print, which
equates to 330dpi ( a lot of integral calculus). The F3200 has an effective
resolution of 2500dpi which is sufficient for MF negs and comfortable for
4x5.

I'm also working on the basis that you don't examine a 20x16 from 12 inches
off your nose. I'm sure I can do better, but unlikely with a consumer
flatbed.

Chris Woodhouse ARPS

Chris, are you saying that the F3200 delivers
more effective detail (or resolution) than the
4870? That would be interesting.

The 4870, in my estimation, is delivering about
half its rated resolution.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com