Old February 25th 05, 12:34 PM
Jim Hemenway

I use an old, long in the tooth Epson Expression 836XL for my 11x14
chromes. It's an 11x17 flatbed with the transparency top.

It scans at 800 spi which works well for printing the chromes as 11x14
"contacts". I think that I could probably print twice as large, but my
printer is only 13x19.

It looses detail in dark shadow areas so I try to shoot high key photos
rather than low key.

I use a Leafscan for 4x5 and smaller film. It's old and very slow, but
does as good a job as the Imacon.

Jim

rafe bustin wrote:

What scanners are folks using for 4x5 film?

Would love to hear what folks are using,
how it works for them, and what scanners
you all lust after.

I'm doing "reasonably well" with a
Microtek/Artixscan 2500. The sharpness
and resolution are adequate, but there's
no dICE, and an annoying problem with
banding in dense areas of negatives.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com