Old January 22nd 15, 11:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Default National Park Photography [re" Ansel Adams Act]

Davoud:
I've done a bit of traveling in my time, visited a few national parks
and landmarks, and never had my right to make photographs questioned.

Can anyone tell me which parks or landmarks or other federally-managed
recreation areas or public lands restrict or tax photography?

Savageduck:
There are general rules and specific rules. Most National Parks and
National Monuments allow recreational photography without restriction.

Most? Which parks or monuments restrict photography?

There are some restrictions in parts of Arches, Canyonlands and Capitol
Reef National Parks where public access is restricted. They do have
limited number guide led photo-tours into those areas.

Restricting access to certain fragile environments is a different
matter, unrelated to photography per se. Those who are permitted to
enter these zones will find no restrictions on photography.

Then there are the rule which apply to commercial photography &
filming, for which permits from the NPS are required.

Not entirely true. There are no restrictions on commercial use of
photographs that you make in national parks &c. The need to have a
permit comes when you want to go in with a crew, especially a film
location crew, which can amount to a hundred or more people.

The Antelope Canyon Slots falls into the Navajo National Parks system,
not NPS, and the tribe controls all access for tour operators, they
have their own set of rules for guide led photo tours.

Yes, another special case, not on public land.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm