Old January 22nd 15, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default National Park Photography [re" Ansel Adams Act]

On 2015-01-22 01:04:23 +0000, Davoud said:

I've done a bit of traveling in my time, visited a few national parks
and landmarks, and never had my right to make photographs questioned.

Can anyone tell me which parks or landmarks or other federally-managed
recreation areas or public lands restrict or tax photography?

There are general rules and specific rules. Most National Parks and
National Monuments allow recreational photography without restriction.

There are some restrictions in parts of Arches, Canyonlands and Capitol
Reef National Parks where public access is restricted. They do have
limited number guide led photo-tours into those areas.

Then there are the rule which apply to commercial photography &
filming, for which permits from the NPS are required. One group which
falls into this category are the various photo-pro workshops. They have
to have an NPS permit ant the numbers in the workshop are restricted.
Sometimes these workshops gain special access to area at times very
popular sites such as the slot canyons would be closed to regular
tourist traffic.
....but they are paying for that uncrowded access.

The Antelope Canyon Slots falls into the Navajo National Parks system,
not NPS, and the tribe controls all access for tour operators, they
have their own set of rules for guide led photo tours. On limited
number tours only are tripods permitted, and the guides decide what
constitutes appropriate photo equipment. If you have a problem with
that take it up with the tribal council.

Here is a lesson learned by one workshop operator.
http://digital-photography-school.com/national-park-photography-workshop-permits-are-they-really-necessary/

cite the national museums in Washington D.C. Except in the rare case
of loan works, including modern ones that may be under copyright, the
policy of the National Gallery (e.g.) is "Of course you may photograph
that Rembrandt. After all, you own it."

Want to copy a work? The official rules read "The National Gallery of
Art copyist program has been in operation since the Gallery opened in
1941. A permit issued by the registrar's office is required for copying
works of art in oil or any other liquid medium. The Gallery provides
permit holders with an easel, stool, and drop cloth; private easels are
not allowed. Visitors may sketch with pencils or other dry media in the
galleries without a permit."

As for federally controlled national security establishments, the
people have had their say on that matter in several national security
and espionage laws. The right of the people to restrict access,
including photography and other surveillance, at designated sites is
settled law.

Savageduck