Old January 11th 09, 08:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default Cleaning old 35mm slides

Marc Bouchard wrote:
This question has probably been asked a thousand times but here goes.

I just bought a Plustek 7500ISE scanner to scan my dad's old slides. As I
peeked at a few, they look fairly dirty. How do I clean those up? Obviously
not with water (the cardboard holder wouldn't last long and water might
damage the slide itself).

So what is the best way to clean those? Any particular product/method?

If the scanner has ICE it may do well in 'removing' most of the dirt in
the image.

I've cleaned negatives with heavily diluted dishwasher soap. Rubbed
with the tip of my finger (gently) and then rinsed. With cardboard
holders you'd need to remove them and then remount in new holders.

(Note: When I go through slides I throw away the worst ones by popping
the film out of the slide holder. So I've got a lot of empty plastic
slide holders lying around to use for this sort of thing.)

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.