Old August 31st 09, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Chemiker

Default Favourite B&W Films.

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:40:27 -0400, Charles Hohenstein

Toni Nikkanen wrote:

By the way, why is it that there's currently only one B&W film in 220 while
plenty of colour film is available in that format?

Because Ilford's machine for finishing 220 film is in disrepair, and
they don't believe that the 220 market justifies the necessary
investment in getting it repaired. So I've been switching from Ilford
films back to Kodak. I have no idea why Fuji won't offer at least one
black and white film in 220.

FWIW: B/W photolabs are an endangered species. I live between
Houston and Beaumont, and to get simple B/W roll film done, even
35mm, it has to be sent out of state. Forget 120/220. And if you
do 4x5, take out a home equity loan. And buy a calendar.

I'm lucky. Im my town there is a photoshop that actually DOES
120/220 and digitizes also. 4x5, tho, is still a "send it to Beijing"
thing.

Alex, Cambo 4x5, shooting 6x9 off Schneider 210mm 5.6.