Old April 12th 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Heinz Grau

Default Where to buy films in Switzerland

Hi Steven,

Seeing your list, this is not the stuff you can get in the Migros or at
discount shops. If they still have film, then it's what Claudio already
said. You will have to search for specialized shops for professionals, they
usually stock what you need or can order it on short notice. There should be
one remaining in each of the larger cities.

If you are in Berne, there is Bildwerk, where I buy my films, including
sheet film. They are not really cheap, but usually they have on stock what I
need. You will find their location he www.bildwerk-bern.ch , but their
website is only in German.
Have a nice trip!
Heinz Grau

"Steven Woody" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On Mar 9, 1:20 am, Claudio Bonavolta wrote:
Steven Woody wrote:
Hi,

I will be traveling to Switzerland for several months, and I want to
know where should I buy films in the country? Is it cheap and easy?
I think, stores with net sales are prefered.

Thanks in advance.

-
narke

Hi Steven,

I live in Switzerland (Geneva) and films are usually cheaper here due to
the fact that our VAT is only 7.6% (roughly 20% in the rest of Europe)
but still a bit more expensive than in the US.

All Kodak, Ilford and Fuji films are imported in Switzerland.
More "esoteric" films are available through international internet
ordering (you'll have to add the VAT when receiving the stuff).

35mm films like standard color negatives (Kodak and Fuji) are available
more or less everywhere.
Migros, the largest supermarkets chain in Switzerland have Ilford B&W
films (FP4 and HP5, no Pan F and I'm not sure about Deltas) and Kodak
color films (Elitechromes included).
You'll find 120 films in (good) photo shops.
Sheet films are available upon special orders in (good) photo shops.

There is a price comparator website (in german):http://www.toppreise.ch
Although it is more dedicated to electronic stuff, you'll find mail
order film shops by searching by type of film (i.e. "Ilford HP-5", ...).
Some of them stock 120 and sheet film too but keep in mind:
- you'll have to pay the postage
- you'll have to pre-pay
So it may just be easier to go to a true photo shop where they accept
credit cards ...

Have a nice trip!
Claudio Bonavoltahttp://www.bonavolta.ch

Thanks for the information. And I am waiting for more inputs from
other folks.

ps. below are list of films what I prefer:

1. Fuji velvia 100/50
2. Kodak G100x
3. Kodak TX400
4. Fuji Reala