Old March 8th 09, 06:48 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Default Favourite B&W Films.

On 2009-03-07 16:45:50 -0500, Keith Tapscott.

Tri-X. It is fast enough, a little bit grainy but not too grainy. For
35mm it has the photojournalist look, in MF the grain is negligible and
it is just a great all around film.

I would agree with that.

My favorite landscape film was Adox KB14, and the recent modern
incarnations I have heard are similar on better stock.

The whole Panatomic-X, Plus-X, Tri-X and the ASA 1200 film (2745/2475
Recording film, whatever it was called) all had a good "look" IMHO and
each had it's use. Personally, I think that Plus-X would have been a
better choice for last man standing, but I think it an Tri-X are both
still available somewhere.

T-Max is IMHO one of those films that if you understand its limitations and
process it properly can produce wonderful photographs and if you don't
will cause you much grief. With the right developer and proper exposure,
T-Max 100 is a worthy replacement for Panatomic-X.

My choice for favorite film developer is hands down, no contest Edwal-FG7,
with a second for Rodinal. They are very different formulas, with very different
results, but if you are the least bit careful, it's difficult to get a
unusable negative with either.

It may, depending upon your definition of good, be hard to get a good one
with Rodinal, but it won't leave you with a black or blank film.

Just a little wandering off topic, my favorite color fim was Ektar 25,
and I hope to try the new Ektar this summer. Although it was color, it produced
negatives with the grain and contrast that I looked for in Black and White
film and would have no complaints if it was the last film made. Unfortunately,
it's been gone for what, 20 years now?

I'm also hoping to get my hands on some Lucky film. I was able to find
a few rolls of their color film, which I have not shot, but would love
to try their black and white film. I understand the older stuff (and maybe
current production) does not have an anti-halation coating and produces
some interesting results with highlights.

Geoff.