Old July 5th 04, 11:27 AM
Justin Thyme

Default "3MP" Showdown

"George Preddy" wrote in message
om...
3MP Bayer image (0.75 Foveon MPs)
http://www.pbase.com/image/30338213/original

3MP Foveon image (13.72 Bayer MPs)
http://www.pbase.com/image/23256593/original

Yup, you proved that the Sigma takes a significantly better photo than a
compact P&S that (in Australia at least) costs 1/6th the price of the Sigma.
I notice that there is no exif info for the Sigma - what ISO? what exposure
settings? The only way to make a proper comparison is if both cameras take a
photo of the same subject in the same lighting. Considering I've seen much
better quality photos than that out of 3MP P&S's I'm dubious about how
accurate the ISO settings etc are with the Sony.
Considering the Sigma has a larger sensor size and better lens than the
DSCP72, and costs several times its price, it's to be expected that it will
always take a better photo in the same conditions - irrespective of whether
it is a Foveon or a Bayer sensor. This is just the same as how a cheap film
SLR will usually take a better photo than a film P&S, even with the same
film.