Old September 15th 18, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Why are FF MILCs so Expensive !

In article , MC
wrote:

So, a bit like those who buy Apple products regardless of the
obscene Apple pricing model, maybe.

Another pathetic case of Apple envy.

Not at all. Just making a comparison in reply to a comment. In
fact, I have nothing against Apple (or Apple users).

based on what you've written, yes you do.

Ok. If that is your understanding, you go with it.

nothing you've said indicates otherwise.

If Apple can get away
with their pricing structure and continue to profit as they do
because they can hold onto their customer base then good luck to
them. To be honest, I quite admire their business strategies for
making such profits, even though I find their pricing a tad obscene
considering their products, on the whole, do nothing more than
fulfill the same tasks as their competitors.

nobody is getting away with anything nor are their prices obscene.

Ok. If you say so

prices for apple products are similar to its competitors for similar
products. they have to be. it's a very competitive landscape.

Ok. If you say so.

any objective comparison says so.

take off your blinders.

Just because I am a person who would rather pay substantially less
for a product to do a job just as well or, as is often the case,
better than products offered by other "overpriced" brand names,
does not mean I am envious of those who wish to spend a lot more
for their products. Why would I be?

except you aren't paying substantially less for a product that's just
as good and certainly not one that's better.

Hmmm. Whatever.

again, prices are similar for similar products.

if you're paying substantially less, then you're getting a lower spec
product, likely quite a bit lower.

Erm, I'm not but, again, whatever.

if you're paying 'substantially less' then yes you are getting lower
specs.

either that or you're ignoring specs to further your agenda.

low end products might be all you need, which is fine, but that
doesn't make other products overpriced. it simply means your needs
are simple.

I never buy low end. In fact my use of tech often requires high end.

oh, so you aren't paying substantially less at all.

do try to keep your story straight.

it's not unusual for those with low end products to be envious of
those with midrange and high end products, wondering how to do the
things they do with little to no effort.

Envy? Never. Pity? Occasionally.

It seems funny to me that the mere mention of Apple, even in the
slightest of negative terms, will bring out the Apple defenders like a
colony of soldier ants, appearing from knowhere, trying to defend their
nest. This says just one thing to me. Chips on shoulders.

what's funny is that someone thinks they can make completely false and
unsupported statements and expect people to believe whatever they say,
then whine like a child when proven wrong.

prices are similar for similar specs. sometimes it's a little more and
sometimes it's a little less.

examples:

the samsung galaxy note 9 is $999, the same price as the iphone xs.
both are good phones, except that by samsung's own statements, the
iphone x (last year's model) was two years *ahead* of anything samsung
had (or anyone else for that matter), and the xs just advanced that.

the iphone 8/8+ are comparable to the google pixel 2/2xl. both are last
year's models and sold for similar prices when new. the 8/8+ just got a
price cut and the next pixel will be announced on oct 9.

several years ago, dell announced a 5k display for $2500 (just a
display, no computer), then apple released a retina imac, which had the
same 5k panel *and* a computer for the same price as dell wanted for
*only* a display, forcing dell to slash the price of its display to
compete. even with the now cheaper dell display, it was still not
possible to add a similar computer to what's included with the mac for
the difference in price.

in other words, apple was cheaper.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2844...itor-price-aft
er-apple-launches-new-imac.html
The monitor, when announced, was originally priced $2,499.99. Dell
did not immediately provide reasons for the change on the price.
However, Jennifer Colegrove, founder and president of Touch Display
Research, said Applešs 27-inch iMac, which sports a 5K display, may
have been a catalyst.

For $2,499.99, Apple is throwing an entire computing platform into
its 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K Display. Dellšs UltraSharp 27 is only
a monitor and the company may have had to drop its price to attract
buyers, Colegrove said.

the microsoft surface studio starts at $3000:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/surface-studio/8xcw9bbpvfv9

an apple imac starts at $1800 for a similar 27" display (less for a
smaller display, not offered in the studio):
https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac

the surface studio has touch and can pivot, although it's slower. is
that worth nearly twice the price?

there are countless other examples.

overall, prices are similar for similar specs.