Old June 17th 18, 02:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Question for you Apple crazies

On 6/15/2018 12:11 AM, Bill W wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 20:48:17 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jun 13, 2018, Bill W wrote
(in ):

My home is paid for, and I'm moving to a place where housing is about
half what it is here, so if I buy something about the same size, I
might have enough left over to buy an Apple product... So some
questions:

Most important, is there any point in shopping around for the best
price on a Macbook Pro, or is the pricing pretty much fixed?

I see that there a lot of listings with years mentioned. How far back
can I go to be able to dual boot into Windows? How far back to get a
great retina display? And how far back to get great performance,
something that is more than adequate for LR & PS, video and audio
editing? How far back where I can still easily add a second high
quality display?

You could go back as far as 2010 to be able to dual boot into Windows, and
still run the latest macOS. However, that is pushing the envelope with regard
to future macOS upgrades.

I suggest you explore OWC as they have later models which they can custom
configure. They have a solid return policy, and offer great service. You are
only limited by your budget.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Apple_Systems/Used/Macs_and_Tablets

Since you are considering a MacBook Pro the configuration and CPU are going
to determine price. For example here is a mid 2014 15” with 16GB memory, a
quad core i7, and 1 TB SSD for $1999. You do know Macs hold their value?

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/PD2HS62XXXXXC/

Otherwise go straight to Apple and buy new:

https://www.apple.com/us_smb_78313/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/15-inch

...and this might be a good starting point for new, with some custom
configuration if you need it.

https://www.apple.com/us_smb_78313/s...y-mac/macbook-
pro?product=MJLQ2LL/A&step=config#

I think I misled a bit - although I would consider a used unit, new is
my preference right now.

I think I'm going to put this off for a bit, since the new ones are
coming out soon. I had a specific reason for grabbing one right away,
but it's not that important. my current laptop is still usable. In
fact, after I get settled in my new town, I might consider getting a
desktop instead.

There were a lot of replies to this thread, so I did get plenty of
useful info. I had no idea that Apple products were reduced at times.
One funny this is that an Apple desktop is the first computer I ever
touched many years ago, and I have never touched one since. It has
nothing to do with my first experience with them, it's just that once
you start on a platform, in my case Windows, you are likely to just
stick with it. And I did. Getting an Apple is like my reward for
suffering through Windows all these years.

i have used Photoshop on both Apple and PC desktops with similar specs,
and did not notice any substantial usability or performance difference.

--
PeterN