Old July 10th 15, 01:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

Default Image size , A technical puzzle.

On 7/10/2015 4:15 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I think you have to look at it from the viewpoint of the competition
committee. My own camera club requires a .jpg with the longest
dimension not to be more than 1400 pixels and at 72 ppi for the
monthly competitions. We do digital only now.

What difference would it make if the tag was set to 7
PPI? Or for that matter to 72000 PPI.

If it does make some difference, somebody is doing
something wrong!

It does make a difference.

no it doesn't.

If I submit an image for a competition
that is more than 1400 pixels on the longest side, and/or not 72 ppi,
it will be rejected by the computer program that I use to upload the
image. It's happened to me.

what app is that?

regardless, a 72 ppi tag is meaningless.

what matters are the pixel dimensions, in your case 1400 or less.

I'm not defending the rule. I'm stating what it is. You aren't going
to drag me into an argument about why someone else came up with the
rule or whether they should have set that rule.

Your question, properly asked, is "Why did the competition committee
set that rule?". I have no answer for that. I don't set the rules.

the answer is because they're clueless dolts who don't understand what
they're doing.

My guess as to "why?" is that the competition committee wanted to
provide some parameters so people wouldn't ask "What ppi should I
use?".

that's a stupid reason.

such a question is an opportunity to teach the person asking what ppi
really means and why it makes no difference in an image that won't be
printed.

True, but some of these images will be printed.

unfortunately, a committee who has no clue is not in a position to do
that, as they don't understand it themselves.

--
PeterN