Old July 10th 15, 01:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

Default Image size , A technical puzzle.

On 7/10/2015 1:34 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Thu, 9 Jul 2015 20:46:27 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

why is there a file size limit at all? especially for small images such
as 1024x768.

Yup! Again I find myself agreeing.

are they running this on an ancient computer with a tiny hard drive
such that they don't have enough space for all the entries?

a file size limit makes no sense and only motivates people to save in a
lower quality with more artifacts. why do they want people to submit
****ty looking photos??

Agreed. It seems to be an odd competition that requires poor quality
image files.

contests like these are run my morons. the answer is to not participate
and optionally try to educate them.

I think education would be more productive, unless they are competition
tyrants.

I think you have to look at it from the viewpoint of the competition
committee. My own camera club requires a .jpg with the longest
dimension not to be more than 1400 pixels and at 72 ppi for the
monthly competitions. We do digital only now.

Each competition, will draw in 200 to 300 or more entries between the
three catagories (color, b&w, creative) with members allowed two
entries (not in the same catagory) each month.

The images are sent to the club and the club sends them as a file to
each of the three judges who review them and rate them from their home
or office on their own computers prior to the meeting night.

Whatever the opinion about the 72 ppi limit, all entries are treated
equally.

The bigger problem is that the judges may or may not have calibrated
monitors. An image may be seen differently by different judges, and
one may think it's, say, over-saturated and another may not see it
that way.

The judges are non-paid volunteers, so it's not really possible to
demand calibrated monitors. One of the three is an experienced club
member, and the other two are always outsiders with some connection or
experience in photography.

I don't know what Peter is entering, but most of us enter competitions
just to have our images critiqued by unbiased outsiders (the submitter
is anonymous) and to see our images displayed at the meeting. If
everyone's under the same rules, it's a level playing field.

There's no money involved, but the last time I won in a catagory I got
a $15 gift card from a camera store sponsor. Big whoop. The first
time I won I got a year's membership to SmugMug (donated by SmugMug),
but that's been a good investment for them because I've continued with
my membership, and paid for it, for several years now.

BTW...The National Geographic Photo Contest has a file size rule for
digital entries : 1600 pixels on the longest side and 20 megabytes or
smaller. I guess nospam thinks they are morons, and that's why he's
never entered.

http://photography.nationalgeographi...contest/rules/

Of course there is no money involved. This is not a commercial
comeptition, just at a fun level. In a sense it is similar to our not
suspended "Shoot in."
I really wish someone would explain why two images with the same pixel
dimensions, and saved at the same compression level, would not be the
same size.

--
PeterN