Old July 29th 15, 06:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

Default Savageduck insisted (sensor,cleaning)

On 2015-07-28 07:25:49 +0000, Bill W said:

snip

Spots (dust spots anyway) are more likely to be on the sensor than the
lens. It is worth learning how to clean the sensor if you are using a
DSLR or a mirrorless system.

snip

Please excuse the hijack - any top tips? My Canon 40D has some now
irritating spots of muck somewhere - the sensor I think.

Usually a blower such as a Giottos Rocket will move light dust.
DO NOT USE CANNED AIR! The propellant will cause more problems than the
dust.

However, there is going to come a time when only a wet cleaning is going
to remove persistant dust.

Dust is going to be located in a position opposite to where you see it
on your image. Dust spots in the upper left of your image will be on the
bottom right of the sensor.

The first thing to remember with wet cleaning and using PEC pad and/or
swabs is not to economize. Only make a single wipe and don't reuse the
swab, or all you will be doing is moving the contamination on the sensor.
I have a few tools I use:
Eclipse Optic Cleaning fluid
Pre-moisened (with eclipse fluid) Swabs (buy the correct size for your
sensor).

Not necessary, but very helpful is some sort of luminated magifying
viewer for checking the sensor.

I use Photographic Solutions cleaning supplies. Their kits are useful
and worth considering.
http://photosol.com

They do not sell direct so I use Micro-Tools.
http://www.micro-tools.com/store/~/C-6/Digital-Camera-Cleaning-Supplies.aspx

or 2filter.com
http://www.2filter.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/Cleaning_Supplies.html

Then to get a good idea of how to go about things this has always been a
good site for reference.
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com

I did all my sensor cleaning boot camp with my D70 which was a real dust
magnet. I was thankful when the camera manufacturers implemented sensor
cleaning. Now my cmeras are set to clean the sensor at power up. I use
the Giottos blower around the camera/lens flange if I have shot in dusty
conditions.

I also use a small chamber brush and the Giottos inside the chamber
without having the mirrior up to expose the sensor. Then If I have to
change lenses in windy conditions I protect the change as much as I can.
You can do this by trying to get indoors out of the wind, or finding
some lee shelter, at worse turn your back to the wind to provide some
sort of lee. For times wind is unavoidable having a change bag available
is a good idea. An old pillow case makes a great change bag.

Following all of that I find that the need to do a wet clean has been
minimized and I find myself wet cleaning once every 8-18 months these days.

Excellent - thanks (and to nospam) very much!

I see that you are probably located in the UK. Micro-Tools has a site
for European customers;
https://www.micro-tools.com

The UK vendor for Photosolutions appears to be "Just Ltd" in Swindon.
www.cameraclean.co.uk

Try this;
http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/products.php?cat=Sensor+Cleaning

Savageduck