Old February 28th 18, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
PeterN[_7_]

Default A simple way to transfer photos from your phone to Windowswithout installing anything on either

On 2/28/2018 12:45 PM, ultred ragnusen wrote:
PeterN wrote:

In my case, it mounted just fine - although Knoppix gave some weird errors
but I'm not too worried because after buying SATA and power cables, I now
have two terabyte HDDs in my laptop.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/...t_device_2.jpg

Your information is good. Years ago I learned the hard way to keep all
my data on a portable HDD, and back up regularly.

Do you own a car? Do you use battery-based wall-outlet-charged jumper
devices? What happens to those battery-based jumper devices in cold weather
or after 10 years? They suffer from the /same/ faults (even more of them)
than the car battery does, right?

Same thing here with external HDDs.

I have a dozen ten year old Zip drives and HDDs which suffer mainly from
worse faults than do my internal HDDs. For one, the ZIP drive data is lost
forever, because I don't even know how to get it back. For another, some of
the older HDDs suffer from proprietary power supplies, where if I lose the
cable or if the power supply goes bad, I'm hosed. For another, a HDD can
EASILY get corrupted. If I haven't mentioned that yet, just unplug it after
backing up hundreds of megabytes, and then cry (as I did) when you can't
fnid the data except by Recuva, where all the files are flat and the names
are all missing their first character (don't ask me why - just ask me why I
cried).

So I gave uip on external USB-connected HDDs as a backup because they're
even /less/ reliable than the internal HDDs are.

So what's left?
DVD is left.

I guess, when SSD gets to the price of DVD, it will win since you only
write once to SSD, but SSD will fail if it uses a proprietary power supply.

To change the topic slightly: It seems to me that the quality of service
at the Windows store is a few notches below what it was abut a year ago.

I thought the QOS was about the same as at the Apple store when I brought
iPads to them which didn't get anywhere near the range of WiFi that my
Android phones got - and they were worthless.

All the Apple store could do was run bull**** diagnostics which simply
teste that iOS was working - which wasn't the problem (because lack of
radio reception is a hardware problem).

They had absolutely zero real diagnostics that you can't run yourself -
where it seems that the Microsoft Retail Store was similar.

We all have different needs. DVD would not work very well for me. The
largest DVD is about 8.5G. My data is mostly photos. The RAW file, out
of the camera is either 20MB, or 33MB, depending on which camera I am
using. Once I start processing, I have to struggle to keep some of the
files under 2G. A portable HDD runs off the laptops power. They are all
industrious standard USB3. If that becomes obsolete, and I lose the
connection cords, the data loss is my fault. But, with proper backups,
and attention to what is going on, technology wise, my system will work
just fine for me.

YMMV

--
PeterN