Old February 10th 14, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer

Default my take on Kodak downfall

On 02/10/2014 10:55 AM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
In article ,
nospam wrote:
In article , Dale
wrote:

having worked there

consumer film was where the big money was

the key is the word *was*.

although kodak pioneered digital photography, they completely failed to
manage the transition to digital and went bankrupt.

The second mouse gets the cheese.

Reminds me of working for Bell Labs. They invented the transistor, for
goodness sake. Yet they could not manufacture them very well. I got the
ones I needed when working there, from Philco, RCA, and Texas
Instruments. Raytheon made them too. Once I absolutely had to get a
Western Electric point contact transistor. A guy I knew at a nearby
military research and development site stole a bunch for me. Inside the
company, none were available.

Xerox PARC pretty much invented the first Apple computer but management
was afraid it would bring on the paperless society (remember that) and
they were in the paper-copying business, so they refused to go on with it.

Corporations have a lot to answer for.

/V\ PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine 1935521.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey http://linuxcounter.net
^^-^^ 12:30:01 up 5:25, 2 users, load average: 4.33, 4.48, 4.64