Old March 26th 05, 03:15 AM
Douglas

"Digi - Reb" wrote in message
news:XK21e.23986$b_6.15448@trnddc01...
I own 3 Canon lenses,
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 that came w/ Digital Rebel
EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 V USM that came w/EOS Elan II
EF 75-300 f/4-5.6 III USM.
Since "quality" Canon glass is somewhat out of my price range this is the
lens I'm considering as my walk around lens.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=350973&is=REG
also considering...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=284399&is=REG

Any thoughts or user testimonials, both pro and con would be appreciated, as
well as any other serious recommendations.

TIA
John

If you can put up with a focus motor you can hear and one which is a triffle
slower than a Canon USM and you can handle the occasional miss focus. You
don't mind a Apochromatic lens producing chromatic aberrations on some
scenes. The Sigma is a product worth considering. I just sold one of these
(non macro) lenses after owning it for less than 6 months. Watch the line
wrap!!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....e=STRK:MESO:IT

There is no difference in the sharpness of the image this lens and my new
24~70 f2.8 L series produces under circumstances ideal to the Sigma lens.
There is lots of difference in other areas and I really don't mind having
sold 2, Sigma lenses to get one "L" series of this type. I found the 28~70
f2.8 Sigma I had on my 10D to be better than the new Sigma for Digitals. If
you care to take some advise from a previous owner... Try the 28~70 before
making a decission.

Douglas