Old October 13th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
stemmy

Default Photography forum

Harry Stottle wrote:
"stemmy" wrote in message
ups.com...

So I wouldnt call myself a spammer I just want as many people to
benefit from what is a superb FREE forum.

I have never heard a spammer actually admit to spamming, so no surprise
that you don't consider yourself one.
Let me try and explain to make it clearer for you. Spammers come in
many guises, one variation is the type that spams newsgroups to try and
get others to visit their websites offering an , where
surprise, surprise, they have an advert at the top of the first page for
their own commercial services, you know the sort of thing, a link to
something like advertising wedding photography, cars, packages, framing
etc. but I'm sure you wouldn't do that, would you?

Yes my link is at the top but just the same way I let everybody else
link their websites. To be honest in the 12 months of the forum I have
given away masses more jobs than I have recieved. If I then take into
account my hours spent administering the forum this has to be the worst
business decision of my life.

I can promise you the forum is in no way a money making machine for me
- that is the truth.

You call it an "innocuous service" - believe me the members dont think
that it is.

Never once have my services been plugged on the forum.

I am sorry that you have the cynical view that everything is for a
reason. I can assure you this is not. Maybe if you yourself joined and
had a look around you would see that the tone of the forum is something
completly different than the norm.

There are probably 15 members from my local area so you would assume
its not the best method of advertising a wedding photographer. The vast
majority are from around the country and probably 30% are from abroad.
Not the most direct advertising ?

Im sure Im not going to convince you otherwise because you sound like
you have had issues with spammers in the past - as have we all !! but
all I can say is I posted this message in good faith and hoped it would
be taken that way.