Old April 3rd 18, 02:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ragnusen Ultred

Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

Am Mon, 2 Apr 2018 19:05:52 -0700, schrieb sms:

The post says that he is creating the sign in Powerpoint and that it
needs to read by Illustrator in the Mac.

I need to dig out my copy of Illustrator which I bought many years ago
at a previous job. I probably used it twice, but I needed to have it for
a specific task. It probably won't even work with WIndows 10.

There are some programs that I've found hard to believe they are still
being used. Corel Draw is the format that many laser cutters require.

I only speak fact.

I used the software to learn how it works with respect to fonts.
The software phones home so Adobe knows whatever they want to know.

Will I ever use the software ever again?

Probably not, why would I? I don't need it. I don't want it.
I don't even like it (AI can't even understand embedded fonts for heaven's
sake.)

I have a licensed copy of Adobe Acrobat & Distiller.
Do I ever use that?
I don't even bother installing it anymore - as it's old crap that doesn't
do anything that freeware can't do.

What does the AI software do?
I don't even know. I think it helps you create vector graphics.

Do I ever create vector graphics?
No.

Do I care to create vector graphics?
No.

Hence, here are three facts.
1. I used the software to test our process with respect to font embedding.
2. The software phones home so Adobe knows I did that & that's fine.
3. The software sucks at embedding fonts (it can't do it).
4. So I have no need for the software whatsoever.

Note: Our process remains as it was before the test.
The test was only to get the shop to start telling the truth.

It's sort of like how we have to deal with nospam, or any defense lawyer.
They never tell the truth until you show them the truth.

b. Hence, it's useless.
c. It phones home so Adobe knows everything.
d. I will likely never use it ever again.
e. But I will also likely leave it on my system as it doesn't break
anything.

What is likely to happen is that it will just sit there forever, unused,
since it serves no useful purpose for me. When I rebuild the computer,
which I do every year or every half year, on average, it won't even go back
on as it would be wasted effort.

Will I delete it?
I could. But there's no technical reason to delete it.
If Adobe wants me, they know me. I already have licenses from them anyway
that have my name and address on them for other products.

The fact is that it was used to test whether AI handled fonts, and it just
sucks at handling fonts (for our purpose). We proved that beyond a shadow
of a doubt.

Is that a licensing issue. Nope.
Is that licensing issue relevant to the *technical* topic of this thread?
Nope.

Q: Why then is the licensing an issue in this technical thread about fonts?
A: Because the Apple Bigots have no technical competency so they quibble
about off-topic issues that are not in the least relevant to the technical
topic.

In short, the Apple posters don't have any technical competency (they
gravitated to the Apple product for that reason alone) so they can't answer
the technical question, so, they make up their own tangential arguments to
argue about.