Old September 21st 14, 08:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
otter

Default Ping PeterN: Sensor dust

On 9/13/2014 6:30 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 9/11/2014 6:19 PM, Savageduck wrote:
I know you take your competition entries seriously, but you just seem to
ignore basic maintenance such as cleaning sensor dust. That is something
you really need to take care of as there is only so much you can fix in
post.
If you don't see the dust spots, particularly in color fields such as
sky, that doesn't mean that other folks can't see them. Since you are
happy using ACR, select the *Spot Removal* tool and check the *Visualize
Spots* check box, and bump the zoom up to 100%.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_897.jpg
If you inspect the sensor, those dust spots should be in the bottom
right corner, but I suspect your contamination is spread further than
that.

I have to ask, after all this time and experience you have with DSLRs,
do you ever clean your camera's sensor?
...or should I say, have you ever cleaned any DSLR sensor? If not you
really need to learn how to do it. Either that or pay for regular
cleaning by whoever works on your cameras. If they charge you for sensor
cleaning, trust, but verify. Shoot wide open at a good monochrome color
field target and check that the spots are gone.

If you want information on cleaning tools just ask.

\
Thanks. You are not wrong. I have a bad habit of not cleaning my sensor.
In fact the last time my sensor was cleaned was a few years ago, on my
D300, and PAS did it for me.

I'm surprised the D800 doesn't self-clean better. I've never had to
clean my 5D2 or 5D3 sensor. I see the occasional dust spot. but it
invariably disappears the next shooting session, after the auto-clean
occurs. You don't have that feature turned off, do you?

Well, maybe it is just the NYC smog. But it gets very dusty here in
Texas, especially in the drought. Thankfully, there was some rain recently.