Old June 5th 18, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

On 6/4/2018 11:20 AM, android wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 11:14:41 -0400, PeterN
wrote in
:

On 6/4/2018 6:04 AM, android wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 01:44:18 -0700, -hh

wrote in
:

n article , android
wrote:

I noticed this while updating Macports. It now features high bit
depth and such...

something photoshop had in 1992.

it still does not have adjustment layers, something photoshop had in
1996, making it still useless to any serious editing.

Photoshop was eight bits per channel until CS, IIRC...

CS was 32 vs 64 bits for addressing of memory, which was required for
having more total RAM for larger images.

Having 16 bit channels dates from November 1992 (version 2.5):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_version_history

Know that! The problem was lack of 16bit support for the plugins, which
is crucial for working with Photoshop the Photoshop way.

That was true for some plugins, not all. IIRC NIK and Topaz worked fine
in 16 bit mode. i am not aware of any that work in LAB mode, but then
when I work in LAB mode I really don't need plugins.

16bit support was enabled in CS according to the Wikipedia page sited...

I started with PS4. Many other plugins only worked in 8 bit mode.

--
PeterN