Old June 4th 18, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Macro wide open - ??

On Jun 4, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 6/4/2018 5:35 AM, Paul Carmichael wrote:

snip

Could something similar to this be your problem
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2248343

No. I don't have a problem (well, that would interest anyone here). This
thread seems to have gone a bit wonky. I simply asked a question about
the usability of large apertures on a macro lens. No problems, no
complaints, just curiosity.

BTW, it's a manual lens.

I us MF on a lot of my macro shots. I also use high speed sync; i set
manual mode for shutter speed and exposure, to black out the background,
and make it blurry. I have to keep adjusting for lighting conditions.
Here is a test shot from yesterday. it is a RAW file so anyone who
downloads the file has a non-exclusive right to analyze it and play to
your hearts content. I must add, that use of this file is for personal
use in learning, only. I retain all right of copyright ownership. If you
want to use the image, or any derivation, for any purpose, other than
personal learning, you must ask for my permission.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k35yio67hkcd7uy/20180603_cars%20antique%20flowers_6824.NEF?dl=0

I actually like what you have done with this shot with regard to the shallow
DoF and OoF background. My only beef is the bud and stem on the left seem to
be in sharper focus than the actual flower with its stamens, which is great
if that ws what you intended. If I intended to have the entire flower, stem,
and buds in focus I might have considered focus stacking/bracketing.

Savageduck