Old August 12th 14, 09:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Best storage/retrieval system for images & MacBookPro

On 2014-08-12 18:54:26 +0000, PeterN said:

On 8/12/2014 1:35 PM, nospam wrote:
Savageduck wrote:

I have 4TB of images and a 1TB MacBookPro. Images are at present on
several external HD. What is best way to store images for ready
retrieval? Anything more efficient/suitable than "network attached
storage" (NAS) like the units sold by Buffalo?
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage

A external USB RAID should be faster.I would have asked this in
comp.sys.mac.system...

Agreed, a RAID would probably be best If not USB3 then consider FW800
or Thunderbolt. I usually got to OWC for my drives and stuff Mac, they
have quite a few options.

The OP did not specify whether he needed high availability.
What is the basis for your assumption that the OP does not need high
availability.

Huh? Your question doesn't make sense.
The OP asks "What is the best way to store images for ready retrieval?"
Nothing above mentions "high availability". That term is first used by
*nospam* below.

You have snipped the OP's (Don Tuttle) & Android's attributes which
confuse the dialog. You appear to be responding to *nospam*, but his
first quote only appears below this little rant of mine.

raid is not needed unless he needs high availability, which he more
than likely does not.

The OP did not specify whether he needed high availability.
What is the basis for your assumption that the OP does not need high
availability.

if he doesn't, then a normal network share + good backup strategy is
*much* better and less expensive.

raid is not a backup.

his question is also not mac specific.

What part of "I have 4TB of images and a 1TB MacBookPro" isn't Mac specific?

the original poster may have a mac, but the answer is not mac specific.

the answer would be the same for someone with a 1 tb windows laptop
(other than afp being highly desired).

It sounds to me that he is looking to consolidate the 4TB of image
files from the several external HDs he is currently using, and a good
RAID with some redundancy can provide that storage with easy retrieval.
He didn't ask anything about back up, that is a different question.
That said having the RAID as part of a network server is also a viable
possibility.

raid is high availability and most people don't need that.

The OP did not specify whether he needed high availability.
What is the basis for your assumption that the OP does not need high
availability.

raid is not a backup.

he didn't ask about a backup but he absolutely needs to consider that
because if the server fails and there is no backup, the images are
lost.

Always a good idea.

Savageduck