Old January 25th 05, 07:19 PM
Bandicoot

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
On 1/25/2005 7:55 AM Bandicoot spake thus:

I kept seeing those Chinese made rollfilm backs that allow
you to shoot 6x17cm panoramas on 4x5 cameras, and
wondering how well one would work - so I decided to order
one and find out. Here are my first impressions for anyone
else who's interested:

[long review snipped]

I wish I could say "the check's in the mail" for this great piece of

work you've posted here.

Feel free... ;-)

Makes me reconsider my desire to get a Horizon[t] to do
panoramas on the cheap.

One question: are you sure of the spelling of this item (Da Yi)? I

Googled for it unsuccessfully. Either it's spelled [spelt]
differently, or it's one of the best-kept photographic secrets on
the Internet.

The only place I've seen them is one seller on 'that auction site'. He
described it as "Da Yi". On the back itself it is written as one,
capitalised, word: "DAYI", but beside that there's a logo that is made up of
a 'D' and a 'Y', supporting the two part spelling.

The same seller also has 6x12 backs to fit 4x5. Looking at the pictures
they look very simple, with masks to use smaller formats and winding based
on a window in the back - ie. sort of like the 6x17 version but, obviously,
not needing the backwards offset of the film plane. I haven't actually seen
one of these, so no idea how well/badly they are made or perform though.
Current listings from this seller are at:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQgotopa...sortpropertyZ1

This is the point where I have to say that I have no connection with the
seller, get no kick-backs, etc. etc. Of course, if he wants to give me a
kick-back, he should feel welcome...

I originally found them by searching for 6x17 backs to see what the Canham
ones for 5x7 cameras went for - I didn't find any and wasn't sure I wanted
to go with carrying a 5x7 about anyway, so when these popped up, and after
letting a few go by, I decided to try one as a relatively cheap way into
making occasional use of the format.

Peter