Old November 14th 17, 12:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Panasonic G9 stabilization good for about 5 stops

On Nov 14, 2017, David Taylor wrote
(in article ):

On 14/11/2017 08:09, android wrote:
In ,
David Taylor wrote:

On 14/11/2017 07:13, android wrote:
[]
Well, most photogs have to have gear that can capture moving objects...

Although I might disagree with "most", personally I find a small MFT
camera and lens more responsive to movement than a bulky full-frame system.

It's not about that the camera moves but that the subject does. If you
need 1/125s to freeze a moving subject than you need that 1/125s with or
without IS.

Agreed. I was thinking more tracking race cars at a circuit or rapidly
moving sea-craft! There the blurred background can add to the impact of
the image. Most of my other photography I could class as "stills", no
animals or children making irregular and unpredictable movements.

If you were thinking of tracking race cars at a circuit, to add a blurred
background you don’t need IBIS, OIS, VR, OS, IS, etc. All you need is to
use a well practiced horizontal panning technique which has been in use long
before digital was imagined. Just the horizontal panning movement imparts a
degree of stabilization while tracking the moving target. You are actually
better off turning off all image stabilization, even though some systems,
like that found in the latest Nikkor VR lenses, claim to detect panning
motion and compensate for it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9mganvz46g6tb2/DNC4352.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mdsoz9gu493nbmp/DNC5067Aw.jpg

Savageduck