Old July 30th 15, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

Default Photo file rename by to date and time taken

On 2015-07-30 16:09:31 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On 30 Jul 2015 14:56:59 GMT, Sandman wrote:

With an asset manager, you never have to bother with "files" other than after
having exported them. You import them directly from the camera/memory card and
you have no reason to know, or change, the actual file name on disk, since the
asset manager gives you a multitude to view, sort and find your photos that
file names can not.

The key point is "necessary vs desirable". It is not necessary to
rename files in LR. It may be desirable to the user.

Agreed.

Renaming does not in any way add any limitation to LR's ability to
work with the files in the ways you've listed above. There is no
downside to doing it.

I feel it is desirable. I don't preach that others do it, but I
prefer the files to be named in a date/number sequence and view them
in Library sorted in ascending order.

LR does that without renaming. When I import image files into LR they
are placed in folders by date. I then relabel the folder by adding a
specific tag. For example, folder "2005-05-24", is relabled "2005-05-24
Vancouver". Any other images shot at a different location on the same
day will be relabled to reflect the different location, eg. "2005-05-24
Butchart Gardens". All the files retain their original capture names.
All are simple to find.

With specific exports Lightroom can handle the batch export (with
resizing and conversion to JPEG, with file size limits) to a new folder
and location and the batch renaming.

So, I can select a group of image files from folder "2010-08-15 Laguna
Seca", and export them to an appropriate folder (let's say "Laguna Seca
2010") at an export destination. Then have those exported files renamed
"Monterey Historics-001", "Monterey Historics-002", et seq.

There is no change to the file names in LR, and all is well with the World.

There are times that it is a distinct advantage. For example, I shoot
the baseball and football season of the league in which my grandsons
play. I post those images to a league website and, at the end of the
season, provide each player with a disk of all the games.

The file names identify the game by date. I could do that on export
as you do, but I find it's simpler to just select the photos to be
used and do a straight export. Not earth-shatteringly more simple,
but more simple.

Also, I admit to being a bit anal in the naming. I import the RAW
files from my card using a date/number convention, and then go through
the batch and delete the obvious non-keepers. The remaining files are
then renumbered in LR so there are no gaps in the numbering. That's
not necessary, but it is desirable to me.

I will also add a few photos from each game to a SmugMug gallery.
Links to that gallery are sent to certain relatives, and contain just
those images in which the grandsons appear. Again, I like the idea
of those files having a date/number name.

LR has the feature of ability to batch rename. In doing so, I'm just
using a feature that works for me.

....and that is generally what is desired. A solution which works for the user.

Well, it depends on what you're going to do with them. If you're sending them
in to a photo contest, you may want to include your name or signature in the
file names so when mixed with others, they sort under your name, and perhaps
add the name of the context ("sandman_wildflowers-003.jpg etc etc), i

Wow! In the photo contests I've entered, that would be prohibited.
The judges are not supposed to know who is the submitter.

Savageduck