Old July 30th 15, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Photo file rename by to date and time taken

In article , Anonymous
wrote:

an asset manager is the alternative.

i didn't tell him *which* asset manager because that's *his* choice.

How would you expect a person who is seeking a simple way to renumber
photos to know what an "asset manager" is?

there is nothing simple about renaming files.

Really? Maybe you actually think that. I need to rename files all
the time, and it is best done in batch mode, if there's more than
one file.

there is no need to rename files because the computer can manage that
for you and give you vastly more options in managing assets.

interacting directly with the file system is old school. it's very
limiting and something that is eventually going away.

for instance, with an asset manager, you could do a query such as
'photos of paris in winter' or 'photos with bob but not sue'. you can't
do that by renaming files.

There is no downside to renaming the files to meet a desire or need.

yes there is. it's work that does not need to be done which is *always*
a downside.

How do you know that it doesn't need to be done? Or is that a
dictat from you?

because it's something the computer can do far more effectively. it's
simply not something that's needed anymore.

When I export image files for the Web I always rename them. If it's
one file I just rename that, easily. If it's a bunch of files I use
a file renamer, either BulkFileRenamer or Fast File Renamer. I tend
more towards the former these days.

again, that is something automatically done by asset managers.