Showing results 1 to 25 of 51
Search took 0.29 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Steve Dell
Forum: Digital Photography November 19th 09, 04:09 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 4
Posted By Steve Dell
How to buy the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM??

Probably anything made after 2007 would be fine. Those made before were of
varying quality.

I've shot extensively with this lens. Major downsides to the lens a
Poor low light focusing
Push-Pull...
Forum: Digital Photography November 4th 09, 05:39 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 4
Posted By Steve Dell
Panoramic Photography

I try to follow these guidelines when I shoot a pano:

Use a Tripod
Shoot RAW if available on your camera
Use Aperture Priority only
Meter far left and remember the setting.
Meter far right and...
Forum: Digital Photography September 4th 09, 05:15 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 4
Posted By Steve Dell
Lens Recommendation

I've shot with the 75-300 DO. it is light weight and fast focusing. it takes
smaller filters. it is very sharp between 75-210 (or so) and then gets
rather soft from there out to 300mm. No surprises...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 26th 09, 08:36 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 9
Posted By Steve Dell
Lens upgrade

Consider the following as good options for you:

Canon 16-35 IS, Canon 17-40 IS or Canon 24-105 IS. All of these are "L"
series lenses.

For a more "popularly priced" lens, consider the Tamron 28-75...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 26th 09, 08:32 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 0
Posted By Steve Dell
Canon 5D Mark II - best all around lens

the 24-105 IS is a great lens. I use it as an all around lens on my 40D and
will keep it when I move to the 5d MKII
"Richard Palush" wrote in message...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras April 28th 08, 06:27 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 6
Posted By Steve Dell
Gitzo Gt1530?

You might try looking at the Benro (not Benbo) tripods. These are very fine
Chinese knockoffs of the Gitzos.

B&H Sells them under the "induro" brand name.

I have two Benro's and love them.
"Tully...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras March 30th 08, 12:49 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 9
HDR
Posted By Steve Dell
HDR

he was asking a question about HDR (high dynamic range) and not how to shoot
a panoramic.
"Zilla" wrote in message
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 4th 08, 02:43 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 4
Posted By Steve Dell
Filter Systems

I have the Lee system and I'm pleased with it. I do get a bit of Vingetting
with my 12-24 Tokina when I have the hood pulled open.

It's a bit of a monster but the quality is great. you can spend a...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 17th 07, 02:16 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 36
Posted By Steve Dell
New lens for XT ?????

You could use the Tamron 18-250 or the 28-75. The latter one is
exceptionally sharp.

Steve
"jazu" wrote in message
There is my...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 14th 07, 10:54 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 5
Posted By Steve Dell
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM

So far, my observations with the 100-400 is that it's quite sharp out past
300.

As for cost, I paid $1000 for the DO and about $1250 for the 100-400. (Both
used on eBay.)

"Doug Freese"...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras December 14th 07, 08:18 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 5
Posted By Steve Dell
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM

I shot with this lens for about a year or so. I found it an excellent travel
and hiking lens for wildlife.

What I noticed many times is that it is sharp between 70 and 200 but gets
progressively...
Forum: Digital Photography December 6th 07, 02:23 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 20
Posted By Steve Dell
When that new camera arrives at your doorstep...

I normally don't have the problem. I live in Tucson
"Scott W" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
If a camera been out in the...
Forum: Digital Photo Equipment For Sale December 6th 07, 06:07 AM Posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital
Replies: 0
Posted By Steve Dell
Canon 30D + 1GB Card

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260189186782&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=016

Reasonable reserve.

Ends 12.08 at 6:00PM PST
Forum: Digital Photography December 4th 07, 11:55 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 3
Posted By Steve Dell
SlideShow SW for pan and zoom (and clips)

Check out Photo Story 3.0 from Microsoft.

Surprisingly, it's free and from MS. WOW

I use it for just what you are trying to do.

Steve
wrote in message...
Forum: Digital Photography December 1st 07, 02:41 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 3
Posted By Steve Dell
Canon 30D... What is the latest revision?

If you're interested in a very nice gently used 30D, I've got one for sale.

Steve
Tucson AZ
"B?gus Excepti?n" wrote in message...
Forum: Digital Photography November 30th 07, 01:41 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 53
Posted By Steve Dell
Higher-end compact or SLR for me?

regarding the G9, I would not be taking pictures with ISO setting above 400.
You'll be fine.
"Dan Lenski" wrote in message...
Forum: Digital Photography November 29th 07, 08:54 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 4
Posted By Steve Dell
Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (EOS Mount)

for a wide angle zoom, I have the Tokina 12-24 f/4 that is great.

in the mid-range, you might be more interested in the Tamron 24-75 f/2.8

Steve
wrote in message...
Forum: Digital Photography November 24th 07, 03:40 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 52
Posted By Steve Dell
Sharpest "Reasonably priced" Canon lens

in that range, you might be happy with the Canon 17-40 L lens.

Steve
"Mike" wrote in message
Yes, I know that...
Forum: Digital Photography November 24th 07, 03:38 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 4
Posted By Steve Dell
photo with sofa

what was the subject of the photo? The girl or the edge of the sofa?
Personally, I would have focused on the girl and not the arm of the sofa.

Just one man's opinion
"Maro" wrote...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras November 22nd 07, 07:40 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 12
Posted By Steve Dell
Tokina Super Wide Angle 12-24mm f/4 - DOF Question

I have the Tokina 12-24 f/4. I have found that at f/11 or f/16 as David says
below to be the sharpest when focused as suggested.

Steve
"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message...
Forum: Digital Photography November 13th 07, 11:15 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 10
Posted By Steve Dell
Canyon De Chelly

as I understand it, going there is best hiring a guide. some areas are not
accessible without one.

You probably want to get there well before the crowds so you walk around and
compose.

Check out...
Forum: Digital Photography November 3rd 07, 04:44 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 5
Posted By Steve Dell
Sigma 15-30mm zoom

I had this lens a few years ago. It was huge. The lens hood typically would
mess with the pop-up flash. I had the 10D at the time.

Image quality, as I recall, was quite good. (Understand my...
Forum: Digital Photography November 3rd 07, 04:26 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 6
Posted By Steve Dell
Canon DPP and CS3 problem

The current RAW converter in CS3 is great. I might ditch DPP altogether for
CS3.

just my $0.02

Steve
"W" wrote in message...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras October 27th 07, 09:25 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 2
Posted By Steve Dell
Is Willoughby's reliable?

I've bought a couple of things from them. Prices are good, shipment
complete, no bait & switch.

Steve
wrote in message

I used...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras October 27th 07, 09:20 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 24
Posted By Steve Dell
Canon EF-S 10-22mm VS Sigma 10-20mm - Which one to buy?

Check out the Tokina 12-24 F/4.

Very sharp. You don't need IS for these wide of a lens.

Steve

"Dave" wrote in message...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 51