Showing results 1 to 25 of 71
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Alex Monro
Forum: Digital Photography January 11th 13, 10:48 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 7
Posted By Alex Monro
Better sensor: Nikon D90 or D5100?

Ron wrote:

Disregarding the other differences between these two bodies, which one
has the better sensor for high ISO, low noise, and general image
quality?

I believe the D5100 uses the Sony...
Forum: Digital Photography November 4th 12, 11:15 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 6
Posted By Alex Monro
UK pic sizes

Dudley Hanks wrote:

Just wondering if 8" x 10" or 11" x 14" are normal pic sizes in UK, ie.
can frames of those sizes be easily purchased off the shelf there?

8x10" & A4 are fairly common in...
Forum: General Photography Techniques April 2nd 12, 04:20 PM Posted to rec.photo.technique.misc
Replies: 3
Posted By Alex Monro
first 35mm roll a disaster

Joe Zakko wrote:

Thanks so much, that makes a lot of sense. Do you know where I could
get a CLA? Would it be a bad idea to do it myself if I'm relatively
unfamiliar with the camera?
Forum: General Photography Techniques April 1st 12, 01:46 PM Posted to rec.photo.technique.misc
Replies: 3
Posted By Alex Monro
first 35mm roll a disaster

Joe Zakko wrote:

Hi, new to this forum. I've shot a lot of 16mm motion, but i just shot
my first roll of 35mm on a nikon fm i just got, and it was a huge
disaster. I have no clue what...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment March 14th 12, 11:53 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 29
Posted By Alex Monro
First time owner of a 35mm Camera

Paul Furman wrote:

K W Hart wrote:
You don't specify the focal length of the zoom lens.

I would guess something like 75-150mm f/4 based on the vintage. At the
teleconverter to this for...
Forum: Digital Photography March 14th 12, 11:41 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 10
Posted By Alex Monro
Which UV filter brand?

mianileng wrote:

I want to get a 52mm UV filter to protect the lens on my new
FZ150, and since the local camera shop doesn't have any, I'll
have to order one online. I have a choice of Kenko,...
Forum: Digital Photography January 19th 12, 05:25 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.comp.os.linux,uk.rec.photo.misc
Replies: 7
Posted By Alex Monro
ColorHug monitor calibration for Linux

Those of you who run Linux as your computer operating system of choice
for photo editing may be interested in...
Forum: Digital Photography June 25th 11, 12:14 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 0
Posted By Alex Monro
Why haven't wifi SD cards made a bigger splash?

RichA wrote:

Seems like being able to download images without touch the card is a
good idea. I've never used one so I don't know what speed, etc., is
like.

Because I don't want to have to...
Forum: Digital Photography May 27th 11, 10:12 AM Posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 1
Posted By Alex Monro
Keystone correction freeware?

grally wrote:

My point and shoot camera has an inbuilt mode for photos of documents. It
corrects any keystone effect and squares up the document in the image.

What freeware for my PC can do...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras April 17th 11, 02:23 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 71
Posted By Alex Monro
DNG - anyone using it instead of RAW?

tony cooper wrote:

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 21:24:55 +1000, Troy Piggins
wrote:

I'm wondering what your thoughts are? Anyone here using it?

I am using Lightroom...
Forum: Digital Photography February 4th 11, 11:59 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 0
Posted By Alex Monro
Equipment Recommendations

Mike Franklin wrote:

I would appreciate it if someone more knowledgeable than I (which
almost certainly equates to anyone reading this) could answer a couple
of questions regarding camera...
Forum: Digital Photography January 16th 11, 04:00 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 4
Posted By Alex Monro
Sony SAL100M28 macro: problems photographing insects

Don Tuttle wrote:

I would like to be able to photograph insects (e.g., bees) up close
with my Sony A33 and Sony SAL100M28 macro and also get the entire
insect to be in focus. With this lens,...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment October 1st 10, 11:46 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 41
Posted By Alex Monro
Besides me, how many folks in this NG are still using 35mm film?

dickr2 wrote:

Just curious.
When I get the film developed I'll get prints, negatives and the
photos on a CD. I've loaded photos from my digital camera onto my
PC and copied those files onto...
Forum: Digital Photography March 16th 10, 12:04 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 9
Posted By Alex Monro
Pentax... how are they now?

Martin Brown wrote:

rdoc wrote:
Hello,

I am considering moving to dslr from a 'bridge' style (Fuji S9000). I
like my Fuji a lot but it has finally developed the dreaded 'command
Forum: Digital Photography December 22nd 09, 12:01 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 3
Posted By Alex Monro
diffraction

egbert_no_bacon wrote:

On Dec 22, 1:11Â*am, "Charles" wrote:
start

hehttp://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/u-di...

i would...
Forum: Digital Photography December 6th 09, 12:58 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 4
Posted By Alex Monro
Extracting stills from digital video

Prof Wonmug wrote:

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 23:35:31 -0500, Michael

On 2009-12-05 19:55:42 -0500, Prof Wonmug said:

I have a Sony CyperShot...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 4th 09, 07:36 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 1
Posted By Alex Monro
Monochrome images and RAW

Fotodog wrote:

If you are contemplating a camera for monochrome shooting only, is
there any advantage in having RAW capability?

Yes. It gives you more options in post processing, depending on...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment August 16th 09, 12:05 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 13
Posted By Alex Monro
Same Old, Same Old

uw wayne wrote:

I was a Nikon affianando for decades. But they continue to introduce
products substandard in specs to many others, introduction after
product introduction. But at ridulous...
Forum: Digital Photography March 23rd 09, 11:33 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 6
Posted By Alex Monro
Latitude

D-Mac wrote:

Perhaps. But my Fujifilm DSLR has the widest dynamic range of any DSLR
made. It does it by using 2 sensors. One for highlights and one for
shadows.

I've used Fuji cameras...
Forum: Digital Photography October 27th 08, 10:47 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 73
Posted By Alex Monro
digital MP filesize vs output

- Bobb - wrote:

If anyone took offense I'm sorry.
My point was just that :
If I was a sales rep with Kodak, ( or any paper company) I would
make/sell
paper to fit aspect ratio of digital...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment October 15th 08, 12:16 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 11
Posted By Alex Monro
Nikon lenses Question

Jurgen wrote:

Today I went to the camera store to buy a lens for my new Fuji S5
DSLR. Confusion over what represents a "good" lens prevented me from
buying one.

I wanted a "DX" lens and...
Forum: Digital Photography October 10th 08, 11:54 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 50
Posted By Alex Monro
more about the camera design I would like to have

wrote:

In the previous thread, I coined the term "single lens direct" or
"single lens
display" or "SLD" to refer to my design. A summary of the design:

snip...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras October 10th 08, 11:50 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 26
Posted By Alex Monro
Canon 50D Auto ISO Question

just bob wrote:

Why not have a true ISO priority mode?

You choose the shutter speed and you choose the aperature, and the ISO
is adjusted automaticlaly.

No, true ISO priority would be...
Forum: Digital Photography October 10th 08, 11:50 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 27
Posted By Alex Monro
Canon 50D Auto ISO Question

just bob wrote:

Why not have a true ISO priority mode?

You choose the shutter speed and you choose the aperature, and the ISO
is adjusted automaticlaly.

No, true ISO priority would be...
Forum: Digital Photography September 1st 08, 10:24 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 0
Posted By Alex Monro
Micro 4/3 system - when the first camera will come out?

wrote:

The Four third system, according to their website was developed by
Kodak and Olympus. It listed Kodak, Olympus, Panasonic, Leica, Fuji,
Sanyo and Sigma as their...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 71