Showing results 1 to 24 of 24
Search took 0.03 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: HeroOfSpielburg
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment February 7th 08, 03:46 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 0
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Best balance for aperature and ISO at dimly-lit concerts

Hello,

My friend is DJing at a club this weekend, and I've been asked to take
pictures of the event. Unfortunately, the venue is going to be very,
very dark, lit mainly by candles. I hope to get...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment October 13th 07, 08:19 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 20
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Advice for finding discontinued film

As it turns out, Hunt's did have a batch of expired Centuria 200. I
bought myself about 100 rolls, and am now well-prepared for winter. :)

Thanks a million for suggesting this, it really helped!
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment October 11th 07, 04:03 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 4
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Photo printers' response to scanned film as opposed to native digital

Hello all,

I have exhausted my patience with going to the print shop every time I
want an 8x10", so I am thinking seriously about buying my first
printer. I have a Canon 5D that I use occasionally,...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment October 9th 07, 12:10 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 20
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Advice for finding discontinued film

I saw some Centuria on sale at Hunts Photo and Video when I was in
there yesterday. While they don't list it on their website, you
may wish to give them a call at 800-221-1830.

That's great,...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment October 9th 07, 12:06 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 20
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Advice for finding discontinued film

Thanks to everyone for the discussion. :)

film when it comes to getting correct colour due to the orange mask of
color negatives. That's just a guess though. I think I scanned one or
two rolls...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment October 6th 07, 02:04 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 20
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Advice for finding discontinued film

Hello,

I'm particularly fond of Konica Minolta Centuria Super NH, a big part
of it may be that I have a DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II and the two go
together so well. Unfortunately, since Konica Minolta...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment June 15th 07, 04:05 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 10
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Different labs make for differently developed negatives

Yes, interestingly enough, this has happened to four rolls of film
over the span of three occasions. Oh well, you get what you pay for I
suppose. :)

Thanks to everyone who submitted thoughts on...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment June 14th 07, 04:24 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 10
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Different labs make for differently developed negatives

I'm sorry. When composing the post I meant to say that this was
strange because the film is exactly the same. I bought several 20-
roll packages of Konica Minolta Centuria Super 400; I've been...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment June 13th 07, 05:52 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 10
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Different labs make for differently developed negatives

Hello,

This is probably a question with a fairly obvious answer, but I was
hoping to hear other people's experiences as well. I usually take my
negative film to be developed at store A, and then...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment May 18th 07, 04:32 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 18
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
35mm beyond 14x17

Thanks to everyone for the input! My goal is mostly eye-catching to
draw people into the booth, the photo will be hanging on the exterior
of my installation, flush against the throughway, so I don't...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment May 17th 07, 02:50 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 18
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
35mm beyond 14x17

Hello,

This is a subjective question, mostly. I have an art show next week
and wanted to blow up a negative to a pretty large size, long print
about 20x40, for the fascade of my booth. The staff...
Forum: Digital Photography April 13th 07, 11:58 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 3
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Scanner scratches negatives, focus is off = dirty?

Mick, thanks for the reply!

the negs through it, or place them one at a time? as I suppose sliding the
negs through could be scratching them?
I have a tray/cartridge which I open from a lid on...
Forum: Digital Photography April 12th 07, 03:17 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 3
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Scanner scratches negatives, focus is off = dirty?

Hello,

I bought a Konica-Minolta DiMAGE 5400 II last year right before they
disappeared and initially was very happy with it. I got good, sharp
scans with little noise.

However, recently I've been...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment April 9th 07, 03:35 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 19
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Poor exposures from 400 speed negative film

So, the general consensus seems to be to shoot around roughly +1.0 EV,
or just set the ASA for one stop slower film.

This seems like it will work with scanning. However, now that we're
talking...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment April 9th 07, 01:23 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 19
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Poor exposures from 400 speed negative film

You may have been vicitim to poor negative developing (cool temperature
or un-refreshed chemicals).

Yes, I'm sure it's mostly me, but just in case, I think I should try
to find some local photo...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment April 9th 07, 01:21 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 19
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Poor exposures from 400 speed negative film

An overly grainy image is usually due to under-exposure in-camera...

I was wondering about that. I think I'm going to try and err on the
side of over-exposure and apply a positive EV shift. ...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment April 9th 07, 01:20 AM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 19
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Poor exposures from 400 speed negative film

Out of date film can be still usable, but you do have to take a little
extra care storing it.

Yeah, I'm refridgerating most of my film, though it's still less than
a year old.

But I think...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment April 8th 07, 12:42 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 19
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Poor exposures from 400 speed negative film

(if the above links don't work by just clicking on them...i.e.
hotlinking, please just try copy-pasting the URLs directly...sorry for
the trouble!)
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment April 8th 07, 12:27 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 19
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Poor exposures from 400 speed negative film

Hello,

I use a lab at a photography chain store near my home in Tokyo. It's
reasonably priced, and the staff are nice, but I have a couple issues
that I'm trying to figure out if it's my error...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment September 3rd 06, 05:43 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 9
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Flawed lenses make for bad focus?

You seem to also be describing curvature of field which is a lens flaw that
cannot be improved. I would replace such lenses with better ones.

Thanks Jim! I'm beginning to think that maybe it...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment September 3rd 06, 05:42 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 9
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Flawed lenses make for bad focus?

Chris,

Thank you for the correction and advice. I'm sorry, I did mean
sharpness and rear elements. I also made a mistake about the lens
length of the wide-angle (it was a long day at work).

Aside...
Forum: Digital Photography September 3rd 06, 04:08 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 3
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
All the things to think about for a poster

Thank you Mark and Pat. You've both given me excellent advice, and I
can now proceed on to my printing with confidence. Sorry for the late
reply, things have been so busy at the office, I haven't...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment September 3rd 06, 04:06 PM Posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 9
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
Flawed lenses make for bad focus?

Hello,

I inherited a Canon A-1 from my grandfather along with three lenses.
One is a 50mm F1.8 Canon that I had cleaned by the manufacturer when I
had the camera overhauled. The other two are...
Forum: Digital Photography August 23rd 06, 04:47 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 3
Posted By HeroOfSpielburg
All the things to think about for a poster

Hello,

I've done a little reading and think I understand the basics of what it
takes to print a beautiful image from a digital camera, but in case I'm
confused or forgetting something, I'd be much...
Showing results 1 to 24 of 24