Showing results 1 to 25 of 74
Search took 0.36 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: David J Taylor[_6_]
Forum: Digital Photography September 19th 08, 04:14 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 33
Where's the limit?

ray wrote:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 07:59:50 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:
[]
Perhaps to an enthusiast? Don't forget that until recently cameras
with more than 15MP used to cost more than 6000...
Forum: Digital Photography September 19th 08, 06:33 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 29
Full Frame vs APS-C

measekite wrote:
[]
I understand about low light but not about lens cost. Most of the
EF-S series of lenses cost less then the newer IS enabled EF lenses.
Plus most people who have a 5D or...
Forum: Digital Photography September 19th 08, 06:30 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 29
Full Frame vs APS-C

Archibald wrote:
[]
And wine tasting. The "experts" can't tell which wine is best unless
they can see the label.

Archibald

No. (a) this doesn't happen in normal competitions - the labels...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 18th 08, 08:41 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 14
Leica News

Alan Browne wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
[]
That's the least of your worries. Not sure if you have seen this:

Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 18th 08, 03:28 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 17
50D Sample Photo

NigelCummings wrote:
Maybe it was taken with a budget 'kit' lens? Canon lenses are usually
pretty good, but I have noticed soft edges with 'kit' lenses from
Canon, Minolta, Nikon and...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 18th 08, 07:26 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 14
Leica News

Alan Browne wrote:
[]
That's the least of your worries. Not sure if you have seen this:

http://web.mac.com/kamberm/Leica_M8_Field_Test,_Iraq/Page_1.html

Quite damning, isn't it?

David
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 17th 08, 04:32 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 10
Filters for long telephoto lenses

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
[]
The AA filter is necessarily a relatively good UV or
Haze filter. And even though it is not perfect, high
frequency cutoff of the analog to digital conversion is
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 17th 08, 11:29 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 3
Filters for long telephoto lenses

Chris Malcolm wrote:
[]
When atmospheric conditions and distance are enough to give a bluish
cast to the object then you will gain sharpness and contrast by
removing not just UV but blue. But I...
Forum: Digital Photography September 16th 08, 02:02 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 18
NiMH cell voltage

ransley wrote:
[]
In using 2 digital meters that in other usage has been shown accurate.
Today after taking a few shots even with flash I am showing 1.38v, Its
time to verify my meter or get a...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 15th 08, 12:10 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 10
AA Filter on new Sony (formerly a RichA post with silly title)

Mark Thomas wrote:
[]
I'd still like to know what David's 'BF' is..? Anyone know?

Back focus?

David
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 5th 08, 01:00 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 100
Does the NikonD700 have image stabilization?

michael adams wrote:
[]
Because "VR" stands for "vibration reduction", and the OP
is primarily concerned with "image stabilization", as witness
the thread title.

michael adams

Michael,
Forum: Digital Photography September 4th 08, 03:03 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 79
archiving of digital photos

James Silverton wrote:
[]
I wonder what is or are the best media for archiving? Have you tried
randomly recalling some of the older images and checking for loss of
quality? Another interesting...
Forum: Digital Photography September 4th 08, 01:53 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 79
archiving of digital photos

Keith nuttle wrote:
[]
I have about 10000 pictures currently plus all of the scanned images
that I have collected in my genealogy research. 16000 pictures does
not seem that much for some one...
Forum: Digital Photography September 4th 08, 07:54 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 111
Rawzor beta release (lossless raw compression)

Sachin Garg wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message
[][i]
Side issue:
I guess there is no way to mathematically factor-out the AA filter in
a camera to increase resolution,...
Forum: Digital Photography September 2nd 08, 03:19 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 21
Contrast ratio of LCD monitors

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
[]
The figures I had seen said 2% for the blackest black on fully exposed
printing paper. This corresponds well to about the same value for 3M
Black Velvet...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 2nd 08, 09:25 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 144
GIMP is free but it is no bargain.

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote:

Alan, Floyd,

Could you clarify something for me please?

When you...
Forum: Digital Photography September 2nd 08, 07:20 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 21
Contrast ratio of LCD monitors

Dave Martindale wrote:
"David J Taylor"

writes:

I wonder if someone who knows about densities and prints might care
to...
Forum: Digital Photography September 2nd 08, 07:08 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 44
Which camera has the best dynamic range?

ray wrote:
[]
OK, so you've attempted to show why (theoretically) I was wrong. That
still does not prove that the jpeg has more information than the RAW
data from which it was derived....
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 2nd 08, 06:43 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 144
GIMP is free but it is no bargain.

Alan Browne wrote:
[]
See above. There is no mystery to gimp. It has a clunky user
interface and works at 8 b/c v. 16 b/c for even the "amateur" version
of PS. A basic function like USM...
Forum: Digital Photography September 1st 08, 07:26 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 44
Which camera has the best dynamic range?

John McWilliams wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:
ray wrote:
[]
Since, as I understand it, a RAW file is basically a dump of the
sensor data, you can't do any better than that....
Forum: Digital Photography September 1st 08, 04:38 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 44
Which camera has the best dynamic range?

ray wrote:
[]
Since, as I understand it, a RAW file is basically a dump of the
sensor data, you can't do any better than that. Theoretical
limitations are one thing - practical applications are...
Forum: Digital Photography September 1st 08, 04:35 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 44
Which camera has the best dynamic range?

Robert Coe wrote:
On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 05:42:50 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
[]
I am not familiar...
Forum: Digital Photography September 1st 08, 10:43 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 44
Which camera has the best dynamic range?

ASAAR wrote:
On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 06:20:27 GMT, David J Taylor weaseled:

The statement that I made was, quite intentionally, intended to be
that an acceptable 12MP ISO 12,800 image is an...
Forum: Digital Photography September 1st 08, 07:20 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 44
Which camera has the best dynamic range?

ASAAR wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:20:34 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

If you feel I have not backed up my opinions sufficiently, I will
try and expand or explain.

No, I don't believe...
Forum: Digital Photography September 1st 08, 06:52 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 44
Which camera has the best dynamic range?

Shon Kei Picture company wrote:
[]
Where David is (seemingly) unable to elaborate on his statement is
when you and the idiot from the frozen wastes of Canada jumped in and
try to discredit him...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 74