Showing results 1 to 25 of 125
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: (PeteCresswell)
Forum: Digital Photography July 20th 18, 10:55 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 2
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Glad news of vastly increased battery capacity

Per RichA:
You'll be waiting a LONG time for that. Transportation services already hate lithium.

Because of the fire hazard, right?

My takeaway from reading about metallic is that, besides...
Forum: Digital Photography July 18th 18, 02:50 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 2
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Glad news of vastly increased battery capacity

Per :
I'm still waiting for Dilithium Crystals.

And I'm still waiting for metallic lithium.
--
Pete Cresswell
Forum: Digital Photography April 20th 18, 02:33 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital

Per Ron C:
A new twist .. I got a call and the ID started with "SPAM?"

Wondering if Verizon is starting to tag some of these
spam/robo calls. Would be nice if true.

I would hope that there is...
Forum: Digital Photography April 16th 18, 01:29 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 25
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Letting off steam

Per PeterN:
For the forth time this week I got a phone call from a telephone that
spoofs the telephone number of an Apple store.

My cell phone gets fairly-frequent robocalls from numbers on the...
Forum: Digital Photography January 5th 18, 03:29 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 28
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
long-term storage for digital photos, videos etc

Per Mayayana:
I do wonder, though, about the life of hard disks.
I use old ones for backup. They're sitting there. I
may as well use them.

Another aspect of hard disk failure is a bad USB port...
Forum: Digital Photography January 4th 18, 05:05 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 28
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
long-term storage for digital photos, videos etc

Per Phillip Helbig (undress to reply):
o Are CDs/DVDs the best option for long-term storage?
My experience is that CDs and DVDs degrade with time and temperature.
Something about the ones you...
Forum: Digital Photography August 8th 17, 03:21 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 4
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Picasa and alternatives?

Per newshound:
I did dabble with Irfanview some years ago, but found it a bit more
complicated than I needed.

ThumbsPlus has a bazillion options - almost none of which I use... but
it allows...
Forum: Digital Photography March 12th 17, 03:55 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 142
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
OT Ransomware for everybody and, yes, Mac users, that includes you.

Per Alan Browne:
But then, ****, I've only been using, programming, building, repairing,
maintaining and backing up computers for 40 years.

I'm kind of in the same boat: application development...
Forum: Digital Photography March 12th 17, 03:51 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 142
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
OT Ransomware for everybody and, yes, Mac users, that includes you.

Per Alan Browne:
Indded. The sole bomb in it is the potential that undetected malware
activate but not do anything; end up in the backups and one day you
recover after a disaster to belatedly...
Forum: Digital Photography March 12th 17, 03:48 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 142
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
OT Ransomware for everybody and, yes, Mac users, that includes you.

Per Eric Stevens:
You haven't actually told me what you mean by 'backup' but I can
guess. You mean a backup system which will protect your data (of all
kinds) from fire, flood or burglary.

I...
Forum: Digital Photography March 12th 17, 03:46 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 142
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
OT Ransomware for everybody and, yes, Mac users, that includes you.

Per Eric Stevens:
OK, so when you say 'backup' you mean ... exactly what? I'm not trying
to argue: only to clarify.

To me, a "Real" backup:

- Is air-gapped (i.e. not connected to my system or LAN...
Forum: Digital Photography March 11th 17, 09:31 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 142
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
OT Ransomware for everybody and, yes, Mac users, that includes you.

Per Tony Cooper:
and he'd fix it if I would allow
him access through TeamViewer.

One of the Brit ISPs has had enough instances of that that they are
blocking the use of TeamViewer until they and...
Forum: Digital Photography March 11th 17, 09:29 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 142
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
OT Ransomware for everybody and, yes, Mac users, that includes you.

Per Alan Browne:
having one's data backed up in multiple copies, kept in
multiple locations and preferably by at least 2 methods is the insurance
one needs. Too few practice it.

And the "Air...
Forum: Digital Photography January 26th 17, 11:48 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Replies: 27
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
An Ethical source An unsolicited plug for B&H

Per PeterN:
Last week I requested a quote from B&H in NY, which was promptly sent. I
placed the order yesterday and was informed that the price had dropped.
They automatically billed me at the...
Forum: Digital Photography December 3rd 16, 04:34 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 8
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Only in the Bay Area

Per Savageduck:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/BART-2.jpg

Makes me think of this North Dakota weather forecast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8hGIF9FljM
--
Pete...
Forum: Digital Photography December 2nd 16, 10:26 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography

Per PAS:
I'm surprised to hear you say you don't feel safe going over 70 in the
F-150. It's not a more recent model but I would have thought it was
still stable at high speeds. I've been in...
Forum: Digital Photography December 2nd 16, 03:26 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Replies: 94
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
For the Netflix Subscribers Among Us - The Taxman Cometh

Per Mayayana:
Someone said the purpose of gov't is to take your
money. He's pointing out that such a view is cynical,
bitter and lazy -- by pointing out what can happen
with no gov't. Very...
Forum: Digital Photography December 1st 16, 11:08 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Replies: 94
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
For the Netflix Subscribers Among Us - The Taxman Cometh

Per PAS:
I don't like to stereotype but I've noticed that pickup truck drivers
around here are the most obnoxious, inconsiderate, and aggressive
drivers.

Maybe it's a false sense of security -...
Forum: Digital Photography December 1st 16, 07:26 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Replies: 94
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
For the Netflix Subscribers Among Us - The Taxman Cometh

Per J. Clarke:
So in your mind the alternatives are bad
government and no government?

No.
--
Pete Cresswell
Forum: Digital Photography November 30th 16, 09:03 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Replies: 94
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
For the Netflix Subscribers Among Us - The Taxman Cometh

Per PAS:
You don't have to convince me about the type of drivers we encounter
here. As the years go by, more and more drivers become more and more
selfish, they don't care about anyone else on...
Forum: Digital Photography November 30th 16, 04:02 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Replies: 94
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
For the Netflix Subscribers Among Us - The Taxman Cometh

Per PAS:
The federal government, like other levels of governments, primary
concern is how to separate the citizens from their money.

I tell people who think government is such a bad thing to...
Forum: Digital Photography November 29th 16, 02:53 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Replies: 94
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
For the Netflix Subscribers Among Us

Per android:
The lack of Netflix content is a price that I'm willing to pay to live
there I live. That content, if attractive is of course available through
other content providers that have...
Forum: Digital Photography November 18th 16, 02:40 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 114
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Happy election day!

Per PeterN:
Is it not the
fundamentalists of any religion the radicals were should worry about.

Bingo!.... I think we have a winner....
--
Pete Cresswell
Forum: Digital Photography November 17th 16, 10:21 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital

Per Tony Cooper:
The deadliest mass shooting by a single gunman - Omar Mateen - was
here in Orlando on June 12, 2016 at the Pulse nightclub. Forty-nine
people were shot to death and 53 people...
Forum: Digital Photography November 15th 16, 08:17 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 114
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Happy election day!

Per PAS: