PhotoBanter.com

-   35mm Photo Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Camera with remote control slot built-in (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=126700)

leonbc December 12th 13 09:42 PM

Camera with remote control slot built-in

Around 1995 I had a 35mm camera which had a pill-sized remote control slot built into the camera body where you store the remote control. It easily popped out if you pushed it. The lenses were not detachable, but the body shape looked similar to a DSLR as opposed to a compact. I am obviously an amateur. Does anyone have any clue what brand/model camera I might have had? It was my first camera, I loved it, and it got stolen when I was in a market. Thanks.

Noons December 13th 13 12:55 PM

On 13/12/2013 8:42 AM, leonbc wrote:

Around 1995 I had a 35mm camera which had a pill-sized remote control
slot built into the camera body where you store the remote control. It
easily popped out if you pushed it. The lenses were not detachable, but
the body shape looked similar to a DSLR as opposed to a compact. I am
obviously an amateur. Does anyone have any clue what brand/model camera
I might have had? It was my first camera, I loved it, and it got stolen
when I was in a market. Thanks.

Only ones I recall were a couple of Minolta models, but they really
didn't look much like a SLR at all...

Michael[_6_] December 18th 13 01:41 AM

On 2013-12-12 21:42:14 +0000, leonbc said:

Around 1995 I had a 35mm camera which had a pill-sized remote control
slot built into the camera body where you store the remote control. It
easily popped out if you pushed it. The lenses were not detachable, but
the body shape looked similar to a DSLR as opposed to a compact. I am
obviously an amateur. Does anyone have any clue what brand/model camera
I might have had? It was my first camera, I loved it, and it got stolen
when I was in a market. Thanks.

Back then there were a fair number of so-called "bridge" cameras which
were better than P&Ss, usually having moderate zooms. They were shaped
like SLRs. I had one made by Olympus but it didn't have the remote the
OP is referring to. It actually WAS an SLR as I recall it, though the
lens was not removable.
--
Michael

Robert Coe December 19th 13 03:29 AM

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 20:41:10 -0500, Michael wrote:
: On 2013-12-12 21:42:14 +0000, leonbc said:
:
: Around 1995 I had a 35mm camera which had a pill-sized remote control
: slot built into the camera body where you store the remote control. It
: easily popped out if you pushed it. The lenses were not detachable, but
: the body shape looked similar to a DSLR as opposed to a compact. I am
: obviously an amateur. Does anyone have any clue what brand/model camera
: I might have had? It was my first camera, I loved it, and it got stolen
: when I was in a market. Thanks.
:
: Back then there were a fair number of so-called "bridge" cameras which
: were better than P&Ss, usually having moderate zooms. They were shaped
: like SLRs. I had one made by Olympus but it didn't have the remote the
: OP is referring to. It actually WAS an SLR as I recall it, though the
: lens was not removable.

Several years ago my wife and I were photographing a parade in our town, when
we happened to run into a woman my wife knew. She had a reputation as a fine
amateur landscape photographer and had won some local awards for her work. I
had seen a couple of her prize-winning photos, and they were indeed pretty
good. She was using a camera that I didn't recognize, so I asked her if it was
a DSLR. She didn't know! In fact it wasn't obvious that she even understood
the question. Here was a photographer who was good enough to win contests, and
she didn't know whether her camera was an SLR or not. I still find it hard to
get my head around that.

I looked the camera up when I got home. It wasn't an SLR.

Bob

Oregonian Haruspex March 14th 14 12:29 AM

On 2013-12-12 21:42:14 +0000, leonbc said:

Around 1995 I had a 35mm camera which had a pill-sized remote control
slot built into the camera body where you store the remote control. It
easily popped out if you pushed it. The lenses were not detachable, but
the body shape looked similar to a DSLR as opposed to a compact. I am
obviously an amateur. Does anyone have any clue what brand/model camera
I might have had? It was my first camera, I loved it, and it got stolen
when I was in a market. Thanks.

It may have been an Olympus IS series SLR with the built in zoom lens.

Doug Payne[_2_] March 19th 14 09:00 PM

On 12/12/2013 4:42 PM, leonbc wrote:

Around 1995 I had a 35mm camera which had a pill-sized remote control
slot built into the camera body where you store the remote control. It
easily popped out if you pushed it. The lenses were not detachable, but
the body shape looked similar to a DSLR as opposed to a compact. I am
obviously an amateur. Does anyone have any clue what brand/model camera
I might have had? It was my first camera, I loved it, and it got stolen
when I was in a market. Thanks.

Perhaps Pentax Zoom90WR. I've still got one in my collection of old junk.