PhotoBanter.com

-   -   4K screen on a 15" notebook (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=131797)

Alfred Molon[_4_] October 15th 18 09:48 PM

4K screen on a 15" notebook

I'm wondering how much sense a 4K screen on a 15" notebook would make.
In a shop I opened a 42MP image on a 15" notebook with 4K screen. It
didn't look that breathtakingly sharp.
Or to put it differently, is anybody using a 15" notebook with a 4K
screen and is it significantly sharper than a 15" notebook with a 2K
screen?
--
Alfred Molon

nospam October 15th 18 09:55 PM

4K screen on a 15" notebook

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

I'm wondering how much sense a 4K screen on a 15" notebook would make.

a lot, 5k even more so.

In a shop I opened a 42MP image on a 15" notebook with 4K screen. It
didn't look that breathtakingly sharp.

then something is wrong.

Or to put it differently, is anybody using a 15" notebook with a 4K
screen and is it significantly sharper than a 15" notebook with a 2K
screen?

yes. the difference is significant. there's no going back.

Alfred Molon[_4_] October 16th 18 08:37 PM

4K screen on a 15" notebook

In article ,
Whisky-dave says...

Have you considered that not all 4k screens are the same ?
A notebook is usualy a cutdown laptop, the screens are usually really crappy.
Making a 4k one isn;t that difficult geting colour and angle of view correct is more of a challenge in a cheap display.
If yuo can take this notobook to an apple store and compare side by side with a retina macbook you might see a differnce .

Is there any 15" notebook PC with a good 4K screen?
--
Alfred Molon

nospam October 16th 18 08:39 PM

4K screen on a 15" notebook

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

Is there any 15" notebook PC with a good 4K screen?

retina macbook pros, which have 5k displays and are also are wide gamut
dci-p3. the 13" versions have 4k displays, also a good choice.

nospam October 16th 18 08:46 PM

4K screen on a 15" notebook

What is the pixel array size in a 4K screen? E.G. 1920 x 1080?

that's 2k.

Savageduck[_3_] October 16th 18 10:15 PM

4K screen on a 15" notebook

On Oct 16, 2018, wrote
(in ):

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 4:48:33 PM UTC-4, Alfred Molon wrote:
I'm wondering how much sense a 4K screen on a 15" notebook would make.
In a shop I opened a 42MP image on a 15" notebook with 4K screen. It
didn't look that breathtakingly sharp.
Or to put it differently, is anybody using a 15" notebook with a 4K
screen and is it significantly sharper than a 15" notebook with a 2K
screen?
--
Alfred Molon

What is the pixel array size in a 4K screen? E.G. 1920 x 1080?

Mort Linder

Sorry, I stopped using notebook/laptop computers when I retired, though I
still have my old 17” MBP.

Since the demise of my 2010 21.5” 1920x1080 iMac, I am amazed at the
absolutely astonishing resolution, and picture quality of my new 27” 5K
iMac with 5120 x 2880 resolution.

Savageduck

nospam October 16th 18 10:32 PM

4K screen on a 15" notebook

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

Sorry, I stopped using notebook/laptop computers when I retired, though I
still have my old 17 MBP.

Since the demise of my 2010 21.5 1920x1080 iMac, I am amazed at the
absolutely astonishing resolution, and picture quality of my new 27 5K
iMac with 5120 x 2880 resolution.

yep, it's one of the best displays, as are the ones on macbook pros.

joe October 16th 18 10:40 PM

4K screen on a 15" notebook

On 10/16/2018 2:39 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

Is there any 15" notebook PC with a good 4K screen?

retina macbook pros, which have 5k displays and are also are wide gamut
dci-p3. the 13" versions have 4k displays, also a good choice.

2880-by-1800 native resolution is not a 5K display. Check again.

nospam October 16th 18 10:55 PM

4K screen on a 15" notebook

In article , joe
wrote:

Is there any 15" notebook PC with a good 4K screen?

retina macbook pros, which have 5k displays and are also are wide gamut
dci-p3. the 13" versions have 4k displays, also a good choice.

2880-by-1800 native resolution is not a 5K display. Check again.

2880 x 1800 = 5184000

there are two ways to classify displays, one is the total number of
pixels (for the above, 5.2k) and the other is the horizontal dimension,
5120 x 2880, which would be 14745600 total pixels.

joe October 16th 18 11:47 PM

4K screen on a 15" notebook

On 10/16/2018 4:55 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , joe
wrote:

Is there any 15" notebook PC with a good 4K screen?

retina macbook pros, which have 5k displays and are also are wide gamut
dci-p3. the 13" versions have 4k displays, also a good choice.

2880-by-1800 native resolution is not a 5K display. Check again.

2880 x 1800 = 5184000

That might be 5M.

there are two ways to classify displays, one is the total number of
pixels (for the above, 5.2k) and the other is the horizontal dimension,
5120 x 2880, which would be 14745600 total pixels.

Maybe, but Apple uses the horizontal dimension.