PhotoBanter.com

-   In The Darkroom (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Newbie question: Is Jobo the way to go for large format negs? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=8356)

Marco Milazzo August 4th 04 04:08 AM

Newbie question: Is Jobo the way to go for large format negs?

I want to do 4 X 5 and 8 X 10 Large negs. I don't have a darkroom
with running water, but I do have a (not completely dark) bathroom. I
assume I can load Jobo tanks in the dark and do all other processing
in the light -- correct?

Any advantages or disadvantages of Jobo over tray-development?

Is there a better way to go than Jobo?

TIA,
Marco

Peter De Smidt August 4th 04 04:31 AM

Marco Milazzo wrote:
I want to do 4 X 5 and 8 X 10 Large negs. I don't have a darkroom
with running water, but I do have a (not completely dark) bathroom. I
assume I can load Jobo tanks in the dark and do all other processing
in the light -- correct?

Yes.

Any advantages or disadvantages of Jobo over tray-development?

The development will probably be significantly more consistent and even.

Remember, though, that the best way to develop sheet film in a Jobo is
with the expert drums. These are expensive and work best only with the
most current version of the CPP-2, and the model one step down. Jobo
changed motors a number of times over the years, the specifics are on
Jobo's site; and the big drums really need the latest motor. Moreover,
these processory are quite bulky, and so you'll need a fair amount of
space in your bathroom. I suppose you could set the processor in the
tub, but that would involve sitting on the floor or bending over. Not good.

-Peter De Smidt

Nick Zentena August 4th 04 12:34 PM

Marco Milazzo wrote:
I want to do 4 X 5 and 8 X 10 Large negs. I don't have a darkroom
with running water, but I do have a (not completely dark) bathroom. I
assume I can load Jobo tanks in the dark and do all other processing
in the light -- correct?

Any advantages or disadvantages of Jobo over tray-development?

If you're shooting colour it's perfect. If you're shooting b&w and like to
use dilute developers then it might be a problem. If you like to use a
concentrated developer it's fine. I'm assuming you intend to use a processor.

Something you might want to check. Some of the processors might
need a cold water intake.

Nick

Michael Scarpitti August 4th 04 02:17 PM

Marco Milazzo wrote in message . ..
I want to do 4 X 5 and 8 X 10 Large negs. I don't have a darkroom
with running water, but I do have a (not completely dark) bathroom. I
assume I can load Jobo tanks in the dark and do all other processing
in the light -- correct?

Any advantages or disadvantages of Jobo over tray-development?

Is there a better way to go than Jobo?

TIA,
Marco

Hangers are the best way to develop sheet film.

jjs August 4th 04 03:39 PM

"Peter De Smidt" pdesmidt*no*spam*@tds.*net* wrote in message

Remember, though, that the best way to develop sheet film in a Jobo is
with the expert drums. These are expensive and work best only with the
most current version of the CPP-2, and the model one step down. [...]

Yes, that's an important point. Specifically, the Expert Drum works only in
the CPP-2, CPA-2 and ATXL-2x00. (I happen to be shopping for such hardware.
Those interested can it see this URL:
http://www.jobo-usa.com/products/3000.htm)

David Nebenzahl August 4th 04 04:19 PM

Newbie question: Is Jobo the way to go for large format negs?

On 8/3/2004 9:03 PM PGG spake thus:

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 03:08:35 +0000, Marco Milazzo wrote:

I want to do 4 X 5 and 8 X 10 Large negs. I don't have a darkroom with
running water, but I do have a (not completely dark) bathroom. I assume
I can load Jobo tanks in the dark and do all other processing in the
light -- correct?

Any advantages or disadvantages of Jobo over tray-development?

Is there a better way to go than Jobo?

I've been using a simple Unicolor drum and roller. Cost me $30 on eBay.
Works fine.

Same here. No need for more expensive hardware in this department so far as I
can see. Try it; it's cheap.

--
Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a
really easy way: stop participating in it.

- Noam Chomsky