PhotoBanter.com

-   In The Darkroom (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Borax granular vs 20 Mule Team (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=105757)

Richard Knoppow April 25th 09 11:01 PM

Borax granular vs 20 Mule Team

"Lew" wrote in message
Are these the same? I'm looking for the 3 grams specified
for the
Microphen substitute in Darkroom CB.

A few years ago someone contacted the United States
Borax Co, the maker of 20 Mule Team Borax. It is chemically
pure, at least enough for photographic purposes and is
granulated. It should work in any photo formula calling for
Borax. Red Devil Lye is another "grocery store" product
(although I haven't seen it recently) that is pure enough
for photo use where sodium hydroxide is called for. One can
make the equivalent of Kodalk (sodium metaborate) by
combining the hydroxide and Borax in solution in the right
proportions.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Lawrence Akutagawa April 26th 09 04:02 AM

Borax granular vs 20 Mule Team

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
m...

"Lew" wrote in message
Are these the same? I'm looking for the 3 grams specified for the
Microphen substitute in Darkroom CB.

A few years ago someone contacted the United States Borax Co, the maker
of 20 Mule Team Borax. It is chemically pure, at least enough for
photographic purposes and is granulated. It should work in any photo
formula calling for Borax. Red Devil Lye is another "grocery store"
product (although I haven't seen it recently) that is pure enough for
photo use where sodium hydroxide is called for. One can make the
equivalent of Kodalk (sodium metaborate) by combining the hydroxide and
Borax in solution in the right proportions.

as per lye -
http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/co...lyesources.htm