PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Effective defenses against malware and other threats on Applecomputers (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=131481)

David B.[_2_] May 11th 18 10:04 AM

Effective defenses against malware and other threats on Applecomputers

Use common sense and caution when you use your Mac, just like you would
in any social context. There is no product, utility, or magic talisman
that can protect you from all the evils of mankind!

*

There will always be threats to your information security associated
with using any Internet-connected communications tool:

1. You can mitigate those threats by following commonsense practices.

2. Delegating that responsibility to software is an ineffective defense!

3. Assuming that any product will protect you from those threats is a
hazardous attitude that is likely to result in neglecting point #1 above.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8841

(Accreditation: John Galt)

Last Modified: May 3, 2018

David B.[_4_] May 11th 18 05:42 PM

On 2018-05-11 5:04 AM, David B. wrote:
Use common sense and caution when you use your Mac, just like you
would in any social context. There is no product, utility, or magic
talisman that can protect you from all the evils of mankind!

*

There will always be threats to your information security associated
with using any Internet-connected communications tool:

1. You can mitigate those threats by following commonsense practices.

2. Delegating that responsibility to software is an ineffective defense!

3. Assuming that any product will protect you from those threats is a
hazardous attitude that is likely to result in neglecting point #1 above.

Do you rely on your wife for protecting your iMac, we all know you have
absolutely zero common sense?

No. My wife never uses my iMac.

Do you still look after YOUR wife's iMac?

If so, have you utilised KnockKnock? It seems an excellent tool for
spotting items which shouldn't be present.

--
David B.

nospam May 11th 18 05:45 PM

Effective defenses against malware and other threats on Apple computers

In article , David B.
wrote:

If so, have you utilised KnockKnock? It seems an excellent tool for
spotting items which shouldn't be present.

yet it somehow didn't find you.

David B.[_4_] May 11th 18 05:49 PM

Effective defenses against malware and other threats on Applecomputers

On 11/05/2018 17:45, nospam wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

If so, have you utilised KnockKnock? It seems an excellent tool for
spotting items which shouldn't be present.

yet it somehow didn't find you.

Probably because you haven't used the facility.

Try it. It's excellent!

https://objective-see.com/products/knockknock.html

--
D.

nospam May 11th 18 05:53 PM

wrote:

Probably because you haven't used the facility.

i did, this morning. i'll probably use it again later today.

David B.[_4_] May 11th 18 06:52 PM

On 2018-05-11 5:04 AM, David B. wrote:
Use common sense and caution when you use your Mac, just like you
would in any social context. There is no product, utility, or magic
talisman that can protect you from all the evils of mankind!

*

There will always be threats to your information security associated
with using any Internet-connected communications tool:

1. You can mitigate those threats by following commonsense practices.

2. Delegating that responsibility to software is an ineffective
defense!

3. Assuming that any product will protect you from those threats is
a hazardous attitude that is likely to result in neglecting point #1
above.

Do you rely on your wife for protecting your iMac, we all know you
have absolutely zero common sense?

No. My wife never uses my iMac.

You do not trust her with it?Â* She must be smarter than you.

Of course I'd trust her with it, but she prefers to use her iPad.

Mind you, there been some interesting events involving the use of
computers in 'The Bridge' of late. Have you watched it?
http://nordicnoir.tv/tv-shows/the-bridge/

Do you still look after YOUR wife's iMac?

She does not have one anymore. You may as well scrub that from your
dossier on me.

Oh dear. Put out of action by malware, eh?!!! ;-) (Just joking!)

She'll miss it I'm sure. The picture quality on my new one is truly
superb - I just LOVE it!

Btw, there is *NO* dossier - just my memory and that of Google Groups.

How about having a sensible conversation sometime? There's little point
in being abrasive all the time.

--
David B.

Jolly Roger[_2_] May 11th 18 07:33 PM

On 2018-05-11, nospam wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

Probably because you haven't used the facility.

i did, this morning. i'll probably use it again later today.

And it still won't find him. Pity.

JR

David B.[_2_] May 11th 18 10:35 PM

On 2018-05-11 5:04 AM, David B. wrote:
[...]

Oh dear. Put out of action by malware, eh?!!! ;-)Â* (Just joking!)

More like a catastrophic hardware failure.

Oh dear. :-( Rather sad that you can't afford to replace it.

She'll miss it I'm sure. The picture quality on my new one is truly
superb - I just LOVE it!

Picture Quality, that must be more of your supposed Techie talk.

I'd go so far as to say that when watching a TV programme on my iMac the
picture is actually BETTER than that shown on my Samsung HD smart TV!

Btw, there is *NO* dossier - just my memory and that of Google Groups.

Sorry to hear the dossier got wiped, must have been your excessive
drinking.

There has never BEEN a dossier!

How about having a sensible conversation sometime? There's little
point in being abrasive all the time.

I am not abusive, you are just past my stupidity limit.

I didn't say you that are abusive. Please carry on being just as you are
if it makes you feel good about yourself.

--
David B.

nospam May 11th 18 11:11 PM

Effective defenses against malware and other threats on Apple computers

In article , Jolly Roger
wrote:

In article , David B.
wrote:
Probably because you haven't used the facility.

i did, this morning. i'll probably use it again later today.

And it still won't find him. Pity.

read it again :)

Savageduck[_3_] May 11th 18 11:23 PM

Effective defenses against malware and other threats on Apple computers

On May 11, 2018, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In , Jolly Roger
wrote:

In , David B.
wrote:
Probably because you haven't used the facility.

i did, this morning. i'll probably use it again later today.

And it still won't find him. Pity.

read it again :)

That is what happens when you use an overhead sewerage system.

Savageduck