PhotoBanter.com

-   -   The GIMP 2.10 Is Out (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=131554)

nospam June 4th 18 05:13 PM

The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

In article , android
wrote:

Having 16 bit channels dates from November 1992 (version 2.5):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_version_history

Know that! The problem was lack of 16bit support for the plugins, which
is crucial for working with Photoshop the Photoshop way.

That was true for some plugins, not all. IIRC NIK and Topaz worked fine
in 16 bit mode. i am not aware of any that work in LAB mode, but then
when I work in LAB mode I really don't need plugins.

16bit support was enabled in CS according to the Wikipedia page sited...

nope. it was added in 2.5.

read it again.

android June 4th 18 05:34 PM

The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 12:13:35 -0400, nospam wrote
in lid:

In article , android
wrote:

The problem was lack of 16bit support for the plugins, which is
crucial for working with Photoshop the Photoshop way.

nonsense, and the gimp doesn't fully support all photoshop plug-ins
anyway.

Why should it? It has its own plugin protocol.

because there are ****loads of photoshop plug-ins, far, far more than
the gimp plug-ins.

Are you calling PS plugins ****? Oki...

Users might have to wait for them to be upgraded though as the GIMP
2.10 is a mere month old...

they might be waiting a very long time since it ain't on the road map.

The have to wait as long as it takes for the devs to upgrade them...

--
teleportation kills

android June 4th 18 05:34 PM

The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 12:13:36 -0400, nospam wrote
in lid:

In article , android
wrote:

Having 16 bit channels dates from November 1992 (version 2.5):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_version_history

Know that! The problem was lack of 16bit support for the plugins,
which is crucial for working with Photoshop the Photoshop way.

That was true for some plugins, not all. IIRC NIK and Topaz worked
fine in 16 bit mode. i am not aware of any that work in LAB mode, but
then when I work in LAB mode I really don't need plugins.

16bit support was enabled in CS according to the Wikipedia page
sited...

nope. it was added in 2.5.

read it again.

Liar. No need. Not very complete such. Maybe reading and writing to file
and not much more. Certainly not layers, which was added in CS...

--
teleportation kills

android June 4th 18 05:34 PM

The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 12:13:35 -0400, nospam wrote
in lid:

In article , android
wrote:

which got 16bit support with CC...

plug-ins did, however, photoshop itself had support for 16 bit since
1992 in version 2.5, enhanced with version 5 in 1998 and again in
2003 with cs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_version_history

Liar. From the link in the above: "16 bit per channel layers, painting,
and adjustment" were added in CS/PS8

scroll up to version 2.5, where it states "16 bit per channel support".

Liar. Not very complete such. Maybe reading and writing to file and not

nospam June 4th 18 05:41 PM

The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

In article , android
wrote:

which got 16bit support with CC...

plug-ins did, however, photoshop itself had support for 16 bit since
1992 in version 2.5, enhanced with version 5 in 1998 and again in
2003 with cs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_version_history

Liar. From the link in the above: "16 bit per channel layers, painting,
and adjustment" were added in CS/PS8

scroll up to version 2.5, where it states "16 bit per channel support".

Liar. Not very complete such. Maybe reading and writing to file and not
much more. Certainly not layers, which was added in CS...

layers was v3, with adjustment layers in v4, something the gimp doesn't
have and according to its road map, won't ever have, making it useless
for anything serious.

Savageduck[_3_] June 4th 18 05:49 PM

The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

On Jun 4, 2018, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Monday, 4 June 2018 15:10:29 UTC+1, ray carter wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 08:57:44 -0400, Neil wrote:

On 6/3/2018 4:21 PM, android wrote:
I noticed this while updating Macports. It now features high bit depth
and such... I have not gotten around to try it yet but this line on the
terminal will set you up so that you can try for yourselves:

sudo port -v install gimp2 && gimp

https://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.10.html
Since Gimp is useless for serious editing you should have included 'OT'
in the subject line.

I must not understand the significance of 'rec' in the group name.

I think it's short for recreational as in a hobby rather than a profession.
There's other .rec. groups too.

....and here comes a mighty recreational WHOOoosh!!

Savageduck

android June 4th 18 07:14 PM

The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 12:41:19 -0400, nospam wrote
in lid:

In article , android
wrote:

which got 16bit support with CC...

plug-ins did, however, photoshop itself had support for 16 bit
since 1992 in version 2.5, enhanced with version 5 in 1998 and
again in 2003 with cs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_version_history

Liar. From the link in the above: "16 bit per channel layers,
painting,
and adjustment" were added in CS/PS8

scroll up to version 2.5, where it states "16 bit per channel
support".

Liar. Not very complete such. Maybe reading and writing to file and not
much more. Certainly not layers, which was added in CS...

layers was v3, with adjustment layers in v4,

Liar. With 16bit support it was not...
--
teleportation kills

PeterN[_7_] June 5th 18 12:25 AM

The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

On 6/4/2018 11:20 AM, android wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 11:14:41 -0400, PeterN
wrote in
:

On 6/4/2018 6:04 AM, android wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 01:44:18 -0700, -hh

wrote in
:

n article , android
wrote:

I noticed this while updating Macports. It now features high bit
depth and such...

something photoshop had in 1992.

it still does not have adjustment layers, something photoshop had in
1996, making it still useless to any serious editing.

Photoshop was eight bits per channel until CS, IIRC...

CS was 32 vs 64 bits for addressing of memory, which was required for
having more total RAM for larger images.

Having 16 bit channels dates from November 1992 (version 2.5):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_version_history

Know that! The problem was lack of 16bit support for the plugins, which
is crucial for working with Photoshop the Photoshop way.

That was true for some plugins, not all. IIRC NIK and Topaz worked fine
in 16 bit mode. i am not aware of any that work in LAB mode, but then
when I work in LAB mode I really don't need plugins.

16bit support was enabled in CS according to the Wikipedia page sited...

I started with PS4. Many other plugins only worked in 8 bit mode.

--
PeterN