PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Fujifilm X-T3 Announced (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=131732)

Savageduck[_3_] September 6th 18 12:38 PM

Fujifilm X-T3 Announced

Here is a new camera which delivers all it has promised, and survives
without IBIS, or FF. The general opinion is, the X-T3 is a significant
improvement over the X-T2.
....and if you want IBIS in a Fujifilm camera buy the X-H1, or wait for the
X-H2.

https://jonasraskphotography.com/2018/09/06/fujifilm-x-t3-review-next-generation-x/
https://ivanjoshualoh.com/2018/09/06/x-t3-fujifilm-finest/
https://www.macleanphotographic.com/fujifilm-xt3/

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t3-first-impressions-review?utm_source=self-desktop&utm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_so urce

https://youtu.be/A0Nr8qVdXDQ

Savageduck[_3_] September 6th 18 01:22 PM

Fujifilm X-T3 Announced

Savageduck wrote:

Here is a new camera which delivers all it has promised, and survives
without IBIS, or FF. The general opinion is, the X-T3 is a significant
improvement over the X-T2.
...and if you want IBIS in a Fujifilm camera buy the X-H1, or wait for the
X-H2.

https://jonasraskphotography.com/2018/09/06/fujifilm-x-t3-review-next-generation-x/
https://ivanjoshualoh.com/2018/09/06/x-t3-fujifilm-finest/

https://www.macleanphotographic.com/fujifilm-xt3/

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t3-first-impressions-review?utm_source=self-desktop&utm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_so urce

https://youtu.be/A0Nr8qVdXDQ

....and the official stuff:
http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n180906.html

Savageduck

newshound September 6th 18 09:46 PM

Fujifilm X-T3 Announced

On 06/09/2018 13:22, Savageduck wrote:
Savageduck wrote:

Here is a new camera which delivers all it has promised, and survives
without IBIS, or FF. The general opinion is, the X-T3 is a significant
improvement over the X-T2.
...and if you want IBIS in a Fujifilm camera buy the X-H1, or wait for the
X-H2.

https://jonasraskphotography.com/2018/09/06/fujifilm-x-t3-review-next-generation-x/
https://ivanjoshualoh.com/2018/09/06/x-t3-fujifilm-finest/

https://www.macleanphotographic.com/fujifilm-xt3/

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t3-first-impressions-review?utm_source=self-desktop&utm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_so urce

https://youtu.be/A0Nr8qVdXDQ

...and the official stuff:
http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n180906.html

Interested to find that the X-T3 has a microphone input socket (as
indeed the X-T2 has, which I hadn't realised). You see the press
increasingly doing video for TV on "still" cameras (as well as radio
stations doing interviews on iPhones).

I had been musing about getting a better video camera than my entry
level Canon Legria so that I could use external mics (mainly to record
music performances), but it is beginning to look as though still and
video technology is merging at the middle level. (I also see that the
serious movie industry makes a lot of use of Canon DSLRs for multi-view
"car crash" and similar shots).

Savageduck[_3_] September 7th 18 02:20 AM

Fujifilm X-T3 Announced

RichA wrote:
On Thursday, 6 September 2018 07:38:20 UTC-4, Savageduck wrote:
Here is a new camera which delivers all it has promised, and survives
without IBIS, or FF. The general opinion is, the X-T3 is a significant
improvement over the X-T2.
...and if you want IBIS in a Fujifilm camera buy the X-H1, or wait for the
X-H2.

https://jonasraskphotography.com/2018/09/06/fujifilm-x-t3-review-next-generation-x/
https://ivanjoshualoh.com/2018/09/06/x-t3-fujifilm-finest/
https://www.macleanphotographic.com/fujifilm-xt3/

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t3-first-impressions-review?utm_source=self-desktop&utm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_so urce

https://youtu.be/A0Nr8qVdXDQ

NO IBIS!!! SIN! Fact is, ISO advantages rapidly vanish without IBIS. So
much so I've gotten better pictures with m4/3rds under adverse conditions
than some have with APS FF cameras that lack IBIS.

Great! However, depending on your subject, for example any action sport, or
wildlife in motion, or BIF is not going to be helped by VR/IS/OIS, or IBIS
as neither ILIS, nor IBIS is going to do anything to stop/freeze subject
motion. What counts is technique, high speed, and inertial stability
imparted via subject tracking. Now if you are shooting handheld interiors,
handheld macro, handheld landscape, handheld portraits, or just find
yourself trapped in low light situations (but not all) then IBIS, VR/IS/OIS
is welcome. For my shooting I find that I survived without it for years of
shooting film, and I am glad to have it when needed, but can live without
it.

Now, if most Fuji lenses are IS, and that's what you use, no issue.

Currently most Fujinon lenses are not IS. Only one Fujinon prime has OIS,
the 80mm. Not all of the Fujinon zooms have OIS there are several such as
the XF16-50mm f/2.8 where it is notoriously absent, but it is still a great
and popular lens.

But it limits what you can do with non-IS lenses, adapted lenses. Though I
don't think Fuji mirror-less users are as much into adapting non-Fuji
lenses as m4/3rds and Sony users.

Actually there is quite a large Fujifilm adapted lens community, mostly
folks owning Leica, and Voigtlander glass for cameras which historically
had no concept of IS, or IBIS.

Savageduck

Savageduck[_3_] September 7th 18 06:20 AM

Fujifilm X-T3 Announced

Savageduck wrote:
RichA wrote:
[...]

Some more on the X-T3.

http://danbaileyphoto.com/blog/4th-generation-x-series-my-full-review-of-the-fujifilm-x-t3/?awt_l=53v8E&awt_m=3YTUy0ZsxymKiyM

Savageduck

Alfred Molon[_4_] September 8th 18 04:42 AM

Fujifilm X-T3 Announced

IBIS means that you can for instance walk in a dark forest and shoot
handheld with the polariser filter on. The colours get more intense if
you can keep the polariser filter on and waterfalls look cool at 0.5s or
1s exposure time - all doable handheld with IBIS.
--
Alfred Molon

Savageduck[_3_] September 9th 18 03:28 AM

Fujifilm X-T3 Announced

Savageduck wrote:
Savageduck wrote:
RichA wrote:
[...]

To add to my Fujifilm X-T3 evangelizing, a bit more to read:

https://keithwee.com/portfolio/review-of-the-fujifilm-x-t3-refinements-towards-perfection-and-that-zero-black-out-30-fps/

Savageduck

Tony Cooper[_2_] September 9th 18 04:56 AM

Fujifilm X-T3 Announced

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 21:29:08 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Friday, 7 September 2018 23:42:07 UTC-4, Alfred Molon wrote:
IBIS means that you can for instance walk in a dark forest and shoot
handheld with the polariser filter on. The colours get more intense if
you can keep the polariser filter on and waterfalls look cool at 0.5s or
1s exposure time - all doable handheld with IBIS.
--
Alfred Molon

It's also changed the dynamics of the hobby. You don't see people using tripods as often and I can't remember seeing a monopod in some time.

I take it, then, you have attended a live (American-style) football
game in some time. There are photographers using monopods all along
the sidelines.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Bill W September 9th 18 04:58 AM

Fujifilm X-T3 Announced

wrote:

On Friday, 7 September 2018 23:42:07 UTC-4, Alfred Molon wrote:
IBIS means that you can for instance walk in a dark forest and shoot
handheld with the polariser filter on. The colours get more intense if
you can keep the polariser filter on and waterfalls look cool at 0.5s or
1s exposure time - all doable handheld with IBIS.
--
Alfred Molon

It's also changed the dynamics of the hobby. You don't see people using tripods as often and I can't remember seeing a monopod in some time.

I take it, then, you have attended a live (American-style) football
game in some time. There are photographers using monopods all along
the sidelines.

I think that would be as much because of the weight of the lenses,
right?

RJH September 9th 18 06:20 AM

Fujifilm X-T3 Announced

On 09/09/2018 04:08, RichA wrote:
On Saturday, 8 September 2018 22:28:40 UTC-4, Savageduck wrote:
Savageduck wrote:
Savageduck wrote:
RichA wrote:
[...]

I'd put decent money on an XT-3 pre-xmas present to yourself :-)

Begs the question as to why buy the X-H1?

IBIS?

I'm a bit confused by the lack of it in the XT-3 - surely it doesn't add
/that/ much bulk?

--
Cheers, Rob