PhotoBanter.com

-   -   SIDE BY SIDE - D70 vs Rebel XT/350D (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=41731)

Jan Böhme March 7th 05 11:24 PM

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 16:44:47 -0000, "adm" wrote:

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
link.net...
Kudos to Canon for not leaving
important features off of its amateur product.

Ummmm.....what about spot metering and fast flash sync ?

Right. But fast flash sync is available in the 350D at a price - i.e.
if you by a Speedlight model expensive enough.

Spot metering, on the other hand, is unavailable, period.

Jan Böhme
Korrekta personuppgifter är att betrakta som journalistik.
Felaktigheter utgör naturligtvis skönlitteratur.

[email protected] March 8th 05 12:19 AM

In message ,
Alan Browne wrote:

If you sort by quality (across all shooting conditions) you end up
sorting roughly by price at the same time.

.... for a given focal length, or range (as in a zoom). A $70 50mm lens
can be optically superior to an L-grade wide-angle zoom.
--

John P Sheehy

[email protected] March 8th 05 12:47 AM

In message . net,
"Steven M. Scharf" wrote:

Kudos to Canon for not leaving
important features off of its amateur product.

Like a RAW RGB histogram?
--

John P Sheehy

David J. Littleboy March 8th 05 12:51 AM

wrote in message
In message ,
Alan Browne wrote:

If you sort by quality (across all shooting conditions) you end up
sorting roughly by price at the same time.

... for a given focal length, or range (as in a zoom). A $70 50mm lens
can be optically superior to an L-grade wide-angle zoom.

There are always exceptions.

http://etischer.com/300d/Tamron28-75.html

It looks to me that the Tamron at f/4.0 at the ends and f/5.6 in the middle
is about as good as lenses get. (Although it's a pity his 70-200/4.0
misfocused.) It's not coincidental that my Tamron has produced the sharpest
images I've seen from the 300D.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Brian C. Baird March 8th 05 12:56 AM

In article ,
says...
Furthermore, one Nikon advantage is with "optional" software, which I
suppose means that you don't get unless you pay extra money not
accounted for in the price comparison. And the warranty advantage
would seem to be Canada-specific, too.

I forgot about that. The Nikon RAW software is only a demo version with
the D70. That always chapped my ass about the camera.

The 350D ships with the new Canon DPP software, which, while not the
greatest, certainly is a lot better than File Viewer.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Scharf-DCA March 8th 05 12:58 AM

John P Sheehy wrote:

Like a RAW RGB histogram?

AFAIK, the only low-end D-SLR with an RGB histogram is the Sigma SD10,
and it's there for a very good reason. It's not like any major player
is putting this feature into their amateur or prosumer models. But who
knows. We haven't seen the spec on the D80 or D200 yet, but they should
be out soon.

Alan Browne March 8th 05 01:09 AM

wrote:

In message ,
Alan Browne wrote:

If you sort by quality (across all shooting conditions) you end up
sorting roughly by price at the same time.

... for a given focal length, or range (as in a zoom). A $70 50mm lens
can be optically superior to an L-grade wide-angle zoom.

I believe most people would understand that...

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource:
http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm

Big Bill March 8th 05 02:16 AM

On 7 Mar 2005 16:58:51 -0800, "Scharf-DCA"
wrote:

John P Sheehy wrote:

Like a RAW RGB histogram?

AFAIK, the only low-end D-SLR with an RGB histogram is the Sigma SD10,
and it's there for a very good reason.

Because the SD10 doesn't do anything *BUT* RAW?
It's not like any major player
is putting this feature into their amateur or prosumer models. But who
knows. We haven't seen the spec on the D80 or D200 yet, but they should
be out soon.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

DoN. Nichols March 8th 05 02:17 AM

In article , adm wrote:

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
link.net...

[ ... ]

The lack of mirror lock-up is just decontenting. They do lock up the
mirror for sensor cleaning, so the capability is there.

True. I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be a firmware hack for this
though...

Well ... remember that when sensor cleaning, they recommend
operating it from the AC power adaptor, which suggests that holding the
mirror up drains the battery rather quickly. This seems to me to be
adequate reason to not put it in the firmware -- either as an original
feature, or as an aftermarket "hack".

I suspect that the mirror is being held up by battery power full
time while it is up, and that to provide a reasonable mirror lock-up
feature, they would need to add hardware -- one solenoid to lift the
mirror (and let it latch), and another to release it once it is time to
do so.

At that time, they could also add a mirror up, delay, expose,
and mirror release features for extreme telephoto or for
astro-photography.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

[email protected] March 8th 05 02:26 AM

In message ,
"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

... for a given focal length, or range (as in a zoom). A $70 50mm lens
can be optically superior to an L-grade wide-angle zoom.

There are always exceptions.

http://etischer.com/300d/Tamron28-75.html

Well, I was thinking about stuff like 16-35mm, etc.

It looks to me that the Tamron at f/4.0 at the ends and f/5.6 in the middle
is about as good as lenses get. (Although it's a pity his 70-200/4.0
misfocused.) It's not coincidental that my Tamron has produced the sharpest
images I've seen from the 300D.)

Nice. I might find that hard to believe, except for the fact that I
already own one Tamron lens, the 90mm f2.8 Di Macro, and it is the
sharpest lens I own.
--

John P Sheehy