PhotoBanter.com

-   -   SIDE BY SIDE - D70 vs Rebel XT/350D (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=41731)

Brian C. Baird March 7th 05 01:21 PM

In article ,
says...
Kind of ridiculous to compare a $99 lens with a nearly $300 one and base
your judgment on the camera heavily on that.

But both are the normal kit lens that the majority of first-timers will buy
the camera with, no? So it is a comparison not so much of camera bodies but
kits, but what percentage of buyers will understand the difference? After
all, there is no use in buying the camera without lens for them.

But who sticks with the kit lens? Almost nobody. And you're forgetting
the utility of an extra $200 to throw towards a decent zoom.

Canon is simply doing its usual 'low price at all costs' thing.

You mean catering to the market to maintain their #1 position? Yeah,
that's horrible.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Brian C. Baird March 7th 05 01:21 PM

In article ,
says...
The problem is more that while Nikon bundles essentialy a L glass equvalent
with D70

No, the 18-70 is certainly NOT 'L' glass equivalent.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Sander Vesik March 7th 05 03:14 PM

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm measekite wrote:

Bill wrote:

Brian C. Baird wrote:

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...sRebelXT.shtml

Kind of ridiculous to compare a $99 lens with a nearly $300 one and base
your judgment on the camera heavily on that.

I agree, the Nikon gets the edge in image quality due to the better
glass on it.

The glass on the kit lens should not be an issue. Compare the bodies.
The DRXT buyer should consider getting the !8-85 S lens. The D70 user
should get the Kit lens. Then compare the results.

This is ridiculous - teh kit lens is what most peopel will buy the camera
with, so why the heck is wrong with such a comparison? If Canon's kit sucks
then its canons problem and they should fix that.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++

Larry March 7th 05 03:22 PM

In article ,
says...
You mean catering to the market to maintain their #1 position? Yeah,
that's horrible.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Aint it AWFULL that Canon seems to know what the public wants, they seem to
know how to package it, and they seem to know how to do it at a PROFIT???

That 'oughta be illegal!!!

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

(not a Canon Digital owner, but a big fan of almost all things Canon)

Steven M. Scharf March 7th 05 04:20 PM

"Sander Vesik" wrote in message
In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Bill wrote:

It's too bad Canon didn't have an 18-70 or similar lense to compare with
the Nikkor 18-70. Now that I think about it, I'd like to see Canon come
out with a non-IS version of their 17-85 with the same optical quality,
as it would be a good everyday lense for a good price. It would be an
excellent starter lense for the Rebel series and 20D too.

The problem is more that while Nikon bundles essentialy a L glass

equvalent
with D70, Canon bundles low quality lens - something you wouldn't really
want to keep if you already hadlens and were intersted in quality. The

Nikon
one would be a keeper either ways.

Neither of those statements are true. The Nikon lens has been crticized for
build quality and vignetting, the Canon lens has been criticiszed for being
too soft at the edges. They are both mid-level lenses. The Nikon has a metal
mount, and a wider range, which makes some people think that it is better
than it really is. The difference is that the Canon lens, at $100
difference, is a no-brainer, but the Nikon lens at $300 difference is
something to consider more carefully.

Steven M. Scharf March 7th 05 04:23 PM

"Sander Vesik" wrote in message

This is ridiculous - teh kit lens is what most peopel will buy the camera
with, so why the heck is wrong with such a comparison?

It's very misleading. They should compare the cameras with the closest
lenses available (from the camera manufacturer). It is quite insane to
compare zoom ranges of kit lenses in an SLR camera review. They should not
go to some second-tier lens manufacturer that makes the same lense for both
cameras.

Paul Bielec March 7th 05 04:28 PM

Alice wrote:

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...sRebelXT.shtml

Here is another, an amateur point of view.
The 300D was a real bargain when I bough it. The D70 was much more
expensive. Now the price dropped and it is definitively the best digital
camera for the price.
I don't own any expensive gear and I don't need it.
When I bought my 300D, I wanted a DSLR but I wasn't willing to spend
2000$ (Can) to buy one. The 300D and the used EOS 300, is an upgrade
from the Nikon F60 I used to have. I want to buy an Elan 7e/7ne
eventually. It is all I need.
Upgrading to 350D or 20D, for me, it would be a waste of money.
I'll upgrade in few years when the digital market stabilizes.

Alan Browne March 7th 05 04:39 PM

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

The only heavy lens I have is the 70-300 DO IS, and that can be forgiven
because its IS eliminates a tripod and it's the size of a large coffee
mug.

Are there any issues wrt the DO and the digital sensor that you've seen?
Do you shooti into the light very often?

Cheers,
Alan.

Steven M. Scharf March 7th 05 04:46 PM

"Sander Vesik" wrote in message
In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Brian C. Baird wrote:
In article , says...
http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...sRebelXT.shtml

Kind of ridiculous to compare a $99 lens with a nearly $300 one and base
your judgment on the camera heavily on that.

But both are the normal kit lens that the majority of first-timers will

buy
the camera with, no? So it is a comparison not so much of camera bodies

but
kits, but what percentage of buyers will understand the difference? After
all, there is no use in buying the camera without lens for them.

Canon is simply doing its usual 'low price at all costs' thing.

The 18-55 kit lens is not a super low end lens like Canon used to promote
with the film Rebel (28-80).

If anyone is trying to de-feature based on price, it's Nikon. It's
inexcusable to not have mirror lock-up, it's just a firmware issue, and they
omitted it to try to move people to a more expensive model. Similarly, the
lack of a vertical grip connection is another de-contenting move to try to
force consumers to move up to the D100. They remind me of how some car
manufacturers have certain options only available on the most expensive
sub-model (Honda is famous for this). Kudos to Canon for not leaving
important features off of its amateur product.

paul March 7th 05 04:51 PM

Bill wrote:
paul wrote:

Bill wrote:

...IS version of their 17-85

Someone mentioned there is a kit price with this lens. What does that
kit cost?

I don't think a "kit" is available, but you can easily get a deal on the
body and 17-85 lense when purchased together from a reputable dealer.
The 350/XT body is about $900 and the 17-85 is about $600 in US funds,
so about $1500 US.

What minimum f-stop is that lens?

It's f/4.0-5.6 for the 17-85 IS lense.

Nikon has a stabilized lens at a longer zoom 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED
for about $550. Then of course you'd need the $1000 12-24 f/4 (only real
wide angle option).