PhotoBanter.com

-   -   I've read about "adaptive optics" as used by the US military, intelligence agencies, etc in satellite imagery, but what about using optics to correct out of focus pictures? Is this possible? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=113594)

Scotius[_3_] July 12th 10 07:04 AM

I've read about "adaptive optics" as used by the US military, intelligence agencies, etc in satellite imagery, but what about using optics to correct out of focus pictures? Is this possible?

Suppose you've taken a photo that is blurred (not due to
movement, but due to improper focus).
Would it be possible, if you could look through just the right
type of lens, to see the picture correctly focused?
If so, would it be possible for software to calculate the
focus problem, or even for a photographer to just go through
progressively different foci to fix something that is blurred?

whisky-dave July 15th 10 01:51 PM

"Scotius" wrote in message
Suppose you've taken a photo that is blurred (not due to
movement, but due to improper focus).
Would it be possible, if you could look through just the right
type of lens, to see the picture correctly focused?
If so, would it be possible for software to calculate the
focus problem, or even for a photographer to just go through
progressively different foci to fix something that is blurred?

I very muvh doubt it, and I thought adaptive optics was used
to partialy overcome atmospheric interference. This is employed in ground
based networked telescopes both for visible light and radi wave and IR I
think.It's used by adapting the shape of the 'reflector' or whatever is
grabbing the data from teh objects

Martin Brown July 15th 10 02:23 PM

On 15/07/2010 13:51, whisky-dave wrote:
wrote in message
Suppose you've taken a photo that is blurred (not due to
movement, but due to improper focus).
Would it be possible, if you could look through just the right
type of lens, to see the picture correctly focused?

In general "the right type of lens" cannot be physically realised.

If so, would it be possible for software to calculate the
focus problem, or even for a photographer to just go through
progressively different foci to fix something that is blurred?

Software solutions exist for deconvolution of images with a uniform or
nearly uniform well characterised point spread function. Methods used to
make the Hubble images before its myopia was corrected for instance.

And there are clever coded aperture imaging arrays where the data
collected is used to infer an image with better light grasp and much
larger depth of field than a conventional circular lens aperture. eg

http://www.paulcarlisle.net/old/codedaperture.html

I very muvh doubt it, and I thought adaptive optics was used
to partialy overcome atmospheric interference. This is employed in ground
based networked telescopes both for visible light and radi wave and IR I
think.It's used by adapting the shape of the 'reflector' or whatever is
grabbing the data from teh objects

There is a "rubber" mirror somewhere in the imaging train that is used
to adjust the wavefronts to obtain the sharpest possible rendition of an
artificial or real guide star. It is able to take out some of the
atmospheric seeing on big scopes.

Cheap versions to take out tip-tilt errors are available to amateur
astronomers and for small fields of view like planets the humble webcam
coupled with software allows keen amateurs to get images that would be
better than top observatories could manage a few decades ago.

Regards,
Martin Brown

[email protected] August 30th 10 06:43 PM

I've read about "adaptive optics" as used by the US military, intelligence agencies, etc in satellite imagery, but what about using optics to correct out of focus pictures? Is this possible?

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 13:51:52 +0100, "whisky-dave"
wrote:

"Scotius" wrote in message
.. .
Suppose you've taken a photo that is blurred (not due to
movement, but due to improper focus).
Would it be possible, if you could look through just the right
type of lens, to see the picture correctly focused?
If so, would it be possible for software to calculate the
focus problem, or even for a photographer to just go through
progressively different foci to fix something that is blurred?

I very muvh doubt it, and I thought adaptive optics was used
to partialy overcome atmospheric interference. This is employed in ground
based networked telescopes both for visible light and radi wave and IR I
think.It's used by adapting the shape of the 'reflector' or whatever is
grabbing the data from teh objects

I think you're right. I do recall reading that it was for
overcoming atmospheric interference, but this was quite a while back.
I suppose that's what I get for posting about something from an
article I read around 10 years ago.
On the plus side, someone suggested looking up deconvolution,
and also that focus magic is a great program for addressing the
problem, so I ended up with some useful info even though I was
radically wrong about "adaptive optics".
It's a good group.