PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Hummingbird meets electronic shutter (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=132943)

Savageduck[_8_] September 13th 20 01:02 PM

Hummingbird meets electronic shutter

On Sep 13, 2020 at 12:15:52 AM PDT, "RichA" wrote:

https://pbase.com/andersonrm/image/171033412

I learned early that there is a time, place, and appropriate subject for the
electronic shutter. Along with rolling shutter, artificial lighting,
including flash/speedlight can cause issues.

My first captured example of rolling shutter was also a Hummingbird.
Savageduck

Alfred Molon[_4_] September 13th 20 09:53 PM

Hummingbird meets electronic shutter

In article ,
says...

https://pbase.com/andersonrm/image/171033412

I learned early that there is a time, place, and appropriate subject for the
electronic shutter. Along with rolling shutter, artificial lighting,
including flash/speedlight can cause issues.

My first captured example of rolling shutter was also a Hummingbird.

You can't use current electronic shutters for very fast moving
objects. It would have to be a global electronic shutter, not a
row by row one.

Personally I'm still dreaming of that new sensor which Panasonic
presented a while ago: organic, with three stacked colour
layers, probably global electronic shutter (but I can't
remember), and the collected charge is stored in separate
capacitors.

This would give you all three RGB colour components at each
pixel, a huge dynamic range and a global electronic shutter
(would allow extremely short flash sync time).
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site

nospam September 13th 20 10:26 PM

Hummingbird meets electronic shutter

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

Personally I'm still dreaming of that new sensor which Panasonic
presented a while ago: organic, with three stacked colour
layers, probably global electronic shutter (but I can't
remember), and the collected charge is stored in separate
capacitors.

This would give you all three RGB colour components at each
pixel, a huge dynamic range and a global electronic shutter
(would allow extremely short flash sync time).

no it wouldn't.

what it would give is significantly worse dynamic range, more noise and
poorer colour.

there are very good reasons why not a single company has brought a
stacked sensor to market other than sigma/foveon, which was an
unmitigated disaster.

dale September 13th 20 10:52 PM

Hummingbird meets electronic shutter

On 9/13/2020 5:26 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

Personally I'm still dreaming of that new sensor which Panasonic
presented a while ago: organic, with three stacked colour
layers, probably global electronic shutter (but I can't
remember), and the collected charge is stored in separate
capacitors.

This would give you all three RGB colour components at each
pixel, a huge dynamic range and a global electronic shutter
(would allow extremely short flash sync time).

no it wouldn't.

what it would give is significantly worse dynamic range, more noise and
poorer colour.

there are very good reasons why not a single company has brought a
stacked sensor to market other than sigma/foveon, which was an
unmitigated disaster.

color filtration is implemented in all digital color cameras?

the question is what RGB model you are seeking?

--
Minister Dale Kelly, Ph.D.
https://www.dalekelly.org/

nospam September 13th 20 10:57 PM

Hummingbird meets electronic shutter

In article , dale
wrote:

color filtration is implemented in all digital color cameras?

obviously, otherwise you wouldn't get colour images.

Savageduck[_8_] September 13th 20 11:44 PM

Hummingbird meets electronic shutter

On Sep 13, 2020 at 1:53:48 PM PDT, "Alfred Molon"

says...

https://pbase.com/andersonrm/image/171033412

I learned early that there is a time, place, and appropriate subject for the
electronic shutter. Along with rolling shutter, artificial lighting,
including flash/speedlight can cause issues.

My first captured example of rolling shutter was also a Hummingbird.

You can't use current electronic shutters for very fast moving
objects. It would have to be a global electronic shutter, not a
row by row one.

We still wait on the global electronic shutter.

With my Fuji’s I follow recommendations and use a mix of shutter options
depending on subject and location:

Generally I stick with the mechanical shutter which takes me up to 1/8000.
However, I usually have my X-T3 set Electronic Front Curtain shutter up to
1/2000, and mechanical shutter for speeds faster than 1/2000 to 1/8000, but
mostly I just use the mechanical shutter.

If I am using flash/speed light that is mechanical shutter only.

If I need speeds higher than 1/8000, up to 1/32000 I use the electronic
shutter. These days that is something I seldom use, unless I am out in
particularly bright, or harsh sunlight without appropriate ND filters, if my
subject is not moving too much.

Personally I'm still dreaming of that new sensor which Panasonic
presented a while ago: organic, with three stacked colour
layers, probably global electronic shutter (but I can't
remember), and the collected charge is stored in separate
capacitors.

Dream away.

This would give you all three RGB colour components at each
pixel, a huge dynamic range and a global electronic shutter
(would allow extremely short flash sync time).

I don't know about Olympus, but with Fuji flash is disabled when using
electronic shutter, or electronic front curtain shutter.

Savageduck

Savageduck[_8_] September 13th 20 11:48 PM

Hummingbird meets electronic shutter

On Sep 13, 2020 at 5:02:14 AM PDT, "Savageduck"
wrote:

On Sep 13, 2020 at 12:15:52 AM PDT, "RichA" wrote:

https://pbase.com/andersonrm/image/171033412

I learned early that there is a time, place, and appropriate subject for the
electronic shutter. Along with rolling shutter, artificial lighting,
including flash/speedlight can cause issues.

My first captured example of rolling shutter was also a Hummingbird.

Here is my Hummingbird example of rolling shutter due to the electronic
shutter on my X-E2.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-9d3QSvv/0/5bfddd31/O/i-9d3QSvv.jpg
Savageduck

Alfred Molon[_4_] September 14th 20 08:25 PM

Hummingbird meets electronic shutter

In article ,
says...
Personally I'm still dreaming of that new sensor which Panasonic
presented a while ago: organic, with three stacked colour
layers, probably global electronic shutter (but I can't
remember), and the collected charge is stored in separate
capacitors.

Dream away.

I don't understand. Wouldn't it be good to have a sensor like
that?

nospam September 14th 20 08:46 PM

Hummingbird meets electronic shutter

In article , Alfred Molon
wrote:

Personally I'm still dreaming of that new sensor which Panasonic
presented a while ago: organic, with three stacked colour
layers, probably global electronic shutter (but I can't
remember), and the collected charge is stored in separate
capacitors.

Dream away.

I don't understand. Wouldn't it be good to have a sensor like
that?

no.

there is no advantage in a stacked sensor and all sorts of
disadvantages.