From: jimnjen not home NOSPAM yahoo
Subject: 300mm+ prices
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:14:02 -0600

"Mr.Bolshoyhuy" wrote:
I'd like to know prices of lenses of any brand which are 300mm or
above.
prime, telephoto, etc.Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Tamron, Sigma, Minolta, I
dont care.

Also, I dont see how anyone could carry around such large objects
which are the sizes of bazookas. If you go on an African safari would
you
bring an SLR with a 500mm lens, or a P&S with a 3x/4x?

300mm arent't all that large.. the 600's.. yea, you need a cart.
Here is my problem with a point and shoot.... I can' t follow motion, I
have difficult time seeing anything important on the tiny screens. and I
can't stand electronic view finders.. I much prefer the brighter clear
view finder of SLR or DSLR. Even on my DSLR the only thing I consult
the screen for is to check highlights using the curve functions . I
suspose I could check gross compositional errors... but my time is better
spent looking the view finder finding photos. I spent some time in
the Everglades and Corkscrew Swamp.. all the time wishing I had a faster
and longer lens than a 70/300 4.5 Granted Elephants are larger than
Aligators but I still doni't a 300 would come amiss.
--
Jim