PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Best Entry Level Camera? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=16650)

Linda_N October 24th 04 04:53 PM

Best Entry Level Camera?

"Paul" wrote in message
I need a good entry level digital camera that will basically be used by a
novice to point and shoot. Use will be holidays, family events etc but
needs to be easy to use and have a format that's easy to transfer stills
PC. Budget is up to about £100. Advice on the best storage media would
also be very welcome, as would links/hints to the cheapest deals ;-)

check out Canon models on http://www.dpreview.com

I say Canon because it is one of the makers who use Compact Flash (CF) which
is the cheapest form of storage out of the cards (floppy not included nor
cd/dvd all of which I would not consider reliable nor good for storage).

Once you know what form of storage you are going with buy a card reader.
Transferring files is much easier and faster using a card reader, plus it is
zero risk and wear and tear to your camera, unlike hooking a camera to pc.

A really fun, affordable (although about your 100 limit) is the Canon S1 IS.
It comes in at $399 usd though (cheaper if you shop around). It has full
Auto mode if all you want to do is point and shoot, but you still get the
advantage of the really good 10x optical zoom for those moments you want to
get closer to your subject.

Linda

S. Thomas Lewis October 24th 04 08:34 PM

You might try the Samsung 420. It is a point and shoot with numerous
options and gives reasonably good photos.

Paul wrote:
I need a good entry level digital camera that will basically be used by a
novice to point and shoot. Use will be holidays, family events etc but
needs to be easy to use and have a format that's easy to transfer stills to
PC. Budget is up to about £100. Advice on the best storage media would
also be very welcome, as would links/hints to the cheapest deals ;-)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Paul

JohnR October 25th 04 01:39 AM

Fujifilm A330. 3 megpixel. recent price drop puts 'em at $150 (US). It runs
fine on 2 AA alkaline. I've now taken 100 pictures with the LCD on and many
flashes and no low batteries yet. It has 3X zoom (I'd advise against getting
a camera without an optical zoom).

The two best things about the camera is the image quality and metering. I
compared it to the Canon A85 (4MP) and the A330 image is clearly sharper.
The metering is the best of any camera I've used. It has yet to blow out or
underexpose a shot.

The only complaint is low light autofocus. They should have included an
assist light.
John