PhotoBanter.com

-   -   "The Genius of Photography" (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=89208)

Ben Miller November 21st 07 10:59 PM

"The Genius of Photography"

Anyone been watching this? Some really interesting stuff, some boring
stuff. Some pompous, untalented windbags, some incredibly innovative
photogs. Some great photos, some weak photos. Overall a A- for the
series so far. The production and participants, as a whole, seem to
lend equal credibility to digital, film and other photographic mediums
- no ****ing matches or insults flying from any one camp. Catch it if
you can...

Rich November 21st 07 11:06 PM

"The Genius of Photography"

On Nov 21, 5:59 pm, Ben Miller wrote:
Anyone been watching this? Some really interesting stuff, some boring
stuff. Some pompous, untalented windbags, some incredibly innovative
photogs. Some great photos, some weak photos. Overall a A- for the
series so far. The production and participants, as a whole, seem to
lend equal credibility to digital, film and other photographic mediums
- no ****ing matches or insults flying from any one camp. Catch it if
you can...

It is a good series. The analysis of the photos is interesting, as is
the discussion on what the photographers meant to accomplish. I wish
they'd do more on landscape shooters, nature shooters (I've only seen
to ep. 3) but so far, so good.

Cynicor[_3_] November 21st 07 11:43 PM

"The Genius of Photography"

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
Ben Miller wrote:

Anyone been watching this? Some really interesting stuff, some boring
stuff. Some pompous, untalented windbags, some incredibly innovative
photogs. Some great photos, some weak photos. Overall a A- for the
series so far. The production and participants, as a whole, seem to
lend equal credibility to digital, film and other photographic mediums
- no ****ing matches or insults flying from any one camp. Catch it if
you can...

I think the neatest part of that show was the Camera Obscura.

Have you ever been in a real camera obscura? We went to the one in
Edinburgh this summer - it's SO cool. After the demonstration, they
turned this red light on, and I took a photo with a fisheye at ISO 1000.
http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/32...182778046-A-LB

SMS 斯蒂文• å¤ November 21st 07 11:59 PM

"The Genius of Photography"

Cynicor wrote:
Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
Ben Miller wrote:

Anyone been watching this? Some really interesting stuff, some boring
stuff. Some pompous, untalented windbags, some incredibly innovative
photogs. Some great photos, some weak photos. Overall a A- for the
series so far. The production and participants, as a whole, seem to
lend equal credibility to digital, film and other photographic mediums
- no ****ing matches or insults flying from any one camp. Catch it if
you can...

I think the neatest part of that show was the Camera Obscura.

Have you ever been in a real camera obscura? We went to the one in
Edinburgh this summer - it's SO cool. After the demonstration, they
turned this red light on, and I took a photo with a fisheye at ISO 1000.
http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/32...182778046-A-LB

I've been in the one in San Francisco by the Cliff House. Very cool.
"http://www.giantcamera.com/"

Frank ess November 22nd 07 03:53 AM

"The Genius of Photography"

Cynicor wrote:
Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
Ben Miller wrote:

Anyone been watching this? Some really interesting stuff, some
boring stuff. Some pompous, untalented windbags, some incredibly
innovative photogs. Some great photos, some weak photos. Overall
a A- for the series so far. The production and
participants, as a whole, seem to lend equal credibility to
digital, film and other photographic mediums - no ****ing matches
or insults flying from any one camp. Catch it if you can...

I think the neatest part of that show was the Camera Obscura.

Have you ever been in a real camera obscura? We went to the one in
Edinburgh this summer - it's SO cool. After the demonstration, they
turned this red light on, and I took a photo with a fisheye at ISO
1000. http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/32...182778046-A-LB

Nice.

I enjoyed looking at your other images, as well. Thank you for the
opportunity.

--
Frank ess

bugbear November 22nd 07 10:35 AM

"The Genius of Photography"

Cynicor wrote:
Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
Ben Miller wrote:

Anyone been watching this? Some really interesting stuff, some boring
stuff. Some pompous, untalented windbags, some incredibly innovative
photogs. Some great photos, some weak photos. Overall a A- for the
series so far. The production and participants, as a whole, seem to
lend equal credibility to digital, film and other photographic mediums
- no ****ing matches or insults flying from any one camp. Catch it if
you can...

I think the neatest part of that show was the Camera Obscura.

Have you ever been in a real camera obscura? We went to the one in
Edinburgh this summer - it's SO cool. After the demonstration, they
turned this red light on, and I took a photo with a fisheye at ISO 1000.
http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/32...182778046-A-LB

I think the one in the program was more impressive in a way.

It had no lens!!

BugBear (who has also enjoyed the Edinburgh one)

Chris Savage November 22nd 07 07:20 PM

"The Genius of Photography"

On 2007-11-22, bugbear wrote:
Cynicor wrote:
Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

I think the neatest part of that show was the Camera Obscura.

Have you ever been in a real camera obscura? We went to the one in
Edinburgh this summer - it's SO cool. After the demonstration, they
turned this red light on, and I took a photo with a fisheye at ISO 1000.
http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/32...182778046-A-LB

I think the one in the program was more impressive in a way.

It had no lens!!

That's rather the point of a camera obscura.

--
Chris Savage Kiss me. Or would you rather live in a
Gateshead, UK land where the soap won't lather?

Deep Reset November 22nd 07 08:21 PM

"The Genius of Photography"

On 2007-11-22, bugbear wrote:
Cynicor wrote:
Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

I think the neatest part of that show was the Camera Obscura.

Have you ever been in a real camera obscura? We went to the one in
Edinburgh this summer - it's SO cool. After the demonstration, they
turned this red light on, and I took a photo with a fisheye at ISO 1000.
http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/32...182778046-A-LB

I think the one in the program was more impressive in a way.

It had no lens!!

That's rather the point of a camera obscura.

I'm pretty sure it isn't.
"camera obscura" == "dark chamber"

Chris Savage November 22nd 07 09:22 PM

"The Genius of Photography"

On 2007-11-22, bugbear wrote:
Cynicor wrote:
Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

I think the neatest part of that show was the Camera Obscura.

Have you ever been in a real camera obscura? We went to the one in
Edinburgh this summer - it's SO cool. After the demonstration, they
turned this red light on, and I took a photo with a fisheye at ISO 1000.
http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/32...182778046-A-LB

I think the one in the program was more impressive in a way.

It had no lens!!

That's rather the point of a camera obscura.

I'm pretty sure it isn't.
"camera obscura" == "dark chamber"

Ok, you're going to have to elaborate a little. What is there in the
phrase 'dark chamber' that says a camera obscura is constructed with a
lens?

I'm loath to quote wikipedia but too lazy to do anything else: "The
principle of the camera obscura can be demonstrated with a rudimentary
type, just a box (which may be room-size) with a hole in one side".

Cynicor[_3_] November 22nd 07 10:19 PM

"The Genius of Photography"

On 2007-11-22, bugbear wrote:
Cynicor wrote:
Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
I think the neatest part of that show was the Camera Obscura.
Have you ever been in a real camera obscura? We went to the one in
Edinburgh this summer - it's SO cool. After the demonstration, they
turned this red light on, and I took a photo with a fisheye at ISO 1000.
http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/32...182778046-A-LB

I think the one in the program was more impressive in a way.

It had no lens!!

That's rather the point of a camera obscura.

Some do, some don't. The one in Edinburgh has periscope-style optics,
and the direction view can be changed as projected onto a concave table.