PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Rear back-up cameras mandated in new cars (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=131487)

newshound May 16th 18 09:03 PM

Rear back-up cameras mandated in new cars

On 16/05/2018 15:54, RichA wrote:
I still think it's better to turn around and look where you are going in 3D than watching a 2D screen.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ras/572079002/

But they see the blind spots, and the cost is trivial these days. And
the problem I have with my 69 year old arthritic neck and shoulders is
that I can't turn round so easily.

---

Tim Watts May 16th 18 09:22 PM

On 16/05/18 21:03, newshound wrote:
On 16/05/2018 15:54, RichA wrote:
I still think it's better to turn around and look where you are going
in 3D than watching a 2D screen.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ras/572079002/

But they see the blind spots, and the cost is trivial these days. And
the problem I have with my 69 year old arthritic neck and shoulders is
that I can't turn round so easily.

---

I'm getting wary of all this "mandated" stuff.

Yes, reversing cams are great - I have one and I feel safer as it can
see lower down than I can looking out of the rear window (plus my eyes
can flick between it and the door mirrors for more coverage).

But when it's mandated, it will become and MOT test item like airbags
and we managed quite well for a century without rear cams. Beepers are
dead handy, cams are a nice to have.

nospam May 16th 18 09:34 PM

Rear back-up cameras mandated in new cars

In article ,
RichA wrote:

I'm getting wary of all this "mandated" stuff.

Yes, reversing cams are great - I have one and I feel safer as it can
see lower down than I can looking out of the rear window (plus my eyes
can flick between it and the door mirrors for more coverage).

But when it's mandated, it will become and MOT test item like airbags
and we managed quite well for a century without rear cams. Beepers are
dead handy, cams are a nice to have.

Rear cameras, in-car "black boxes" to track you. Pretty soon, speed monitors
that get you a "break" on insurance now, will be mandatory. At some point,
the STATE will take-over control of your vehicle, it'll probably start in cities
with the pretext of "streamlining" traffic.

not the state, but a black box.

at some point (sooner than people think), cars will drive themselves,
and do so a whole lot better than humans ever could.

android May 17th 18 06:18 AM

On 2018-05-16 20:03:12 +0000, newshound said:

On 16/05/2018 15:54, RichA wrote:
I still think it's better to turn around and look where you are going
in 3D than watching a 2D screen.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ras/572079002/

But they see the blind spots, and the cost is trivial these days. And
the problem I have with my 69 year old arthritic neck and shoulders is
that I can't turn round so easily.

---

I drove a station wagon, VW Golf with one these a few months back and
it works amazingly well. It's a mere webcam with the path of the
reverse outlined. True MF cost USD50 top, if hooked up to an existing
display...
--
teleportation kills

Savageduck[_3_] May 17th 18 06:56 AM

Rear back-up cameras mandated in new cars

On May 16, 2018, android wrote
(in article ):

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ameras/5720790
02/

But they see the blind spots, and the cost is trivial these days. And
the problem I have with my 69 year old arthritic neck and shoulders is
that I can't turn round so easily.

---

I drove a station wagon, VW Golf with one these a few months back and
it works amazingly well. It's a mere webcam with the path of the
reverse outlined. True MF cost USD50 top, if hooked up to an existing
display...

Yup! My E350 has a backup camera which is especially useful in parking lots,
and a great supplement to rear view mirrors.

Savageduck