PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital SLR Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   "fast" compact flash card??? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=48933)

Jack Carter August 22nd 05 03:34 PM

"fast" compact flash card???

How much difference would there be between a "standard" and "high speed"
compact flash card when used in a 5mp Canon S500 (discontinued) Digital
Elf
camera? A camera store sales person says "next to none" in this particular
camera, but if I was using it in a digital SLR I would notice a
difference.
My main concern is that I don't want to slow down the shot-to-shot times
when taking pictures. I'm not concerned about transfer times to the
computer.

It has removed 354 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

David H. Lipman August 22nd 05 04:07 PM

From: "Jack Carter"

| How much difference would there be between a "standard" and "high speed"
| compact flash card when used in a 5mp Canon S500 (discontinued) Digital
| Elf
| camera? A camera store sales person says "next to none" in this particular
| camera, but if I was using it in a digital SLR I would notice a
| difference.
| My main concern is that I don't want to slow down the shot-to-shot times
| when taking pictures. I'm not concerned about transfer times to the
| computer.
|
| --
| I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
| It has removed 354 spam emails to date.
| Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
| Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

It would be dependent upon how fast the camera can write to the card. A faster card might
might be limited by the camera's ability to write to the card.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

David Geesaman August 22nd 05 04:13 PM

"Jack Carter" wrote in message
How much difference would there be between a "standard" and "high speed"
compact flash card when used in a 5mp Canon S500 (discontinued) Digital
Elf
camera? A camera store sales person says "next to none" in this particular
camera, but if I was using it in a digital SLR I would notice a
difference.
My main concern is that I don't want to slow down the shot-to-shot times
when taking pictures. I'm not concerned about transfer times to the
computer.

Here is some relevant data of dSLRs, but the elf is not on the tested
list.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6425

The salesperson's generalizations are probably accurate. To get faster
shot-to-shot performance, it's probably time to upgrade. You might consider
getting faster storage media now as prep for a later upgrade.

Dave

Hunt August 24th 05 04:11 AM

In article , jcarter10screwspam@comcast.
net says...

How much difference would there be between a "standard" and "high speed"
compact flash card when used in a 5mp Canon S500 (discontinued) Digital
Elf
camera? A camera store sales person says "next to none" in this particular
camera, but if I was using it in a digital SLR I would notice a
difference.
My main concern is that I don't want to slow down the shot-to-shot times
when taking pictures. I'm not concerned about transfer times to the
computer.

I do not know about your Canon, but I and an assistant with CP5000 & 5700
found a BIG difference in write-time with a 24x card, even though everyone
said that the cameras' sofware would never use the difference in write
capability. Don't know if this will apply to your gear, but it was a very
pleasant surprise to both of us.

Hunt