PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital SLR Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   SLR and SLR like cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=49084)

[email protected] August 30th 05 07:24 AM

SLR and SLR like cameras

Hi,
I am a newcomer to photography.Just tell me the difference between a
SLR and SLR like camera.For example Canon EOS 350D is an (D)SLR and
Fuji S5500 is called an 'SLR like' camera..By single lens reflex I
suppose that what you see through the view finder is what you are going
to get as the image.i.e front end optics for both the viewfinder and
image capturing mechanism are same.

Both of these cameras satisfies my definition.But only one is qualified
as an SLR why ??

Mike Warren August 30th 05 07:50 AM

wrote:
Hi,
I am a newcomer to photography.Just tell me the difference between a
SLR and SLR like camera.For example Canon EOS 350D is an (D)SLR and
Fuji S5500 is called an 'SLR like' camera..By single lens reflex I
suppose that what you see through the view finder is what you are
going to get as the image.i.e front end optics for both the
viewfinder and image capturing mechanism are same.

Both of these cameras satisfies my definition.But only one is
qualified as an SLR why ??

The term that seems to be used most often with cameras that
have an electronic view finder is ZLR (Zoom Lens Reflex). See
rec.photo.digital.zlr.

I don't quite understand why since I thought "reflex" referred to
the moving mirror.

In the early days of DSLRs, ZLRs were known (at least in my circles)
as prosumer cameras. That was when DSLRs were only likely to
be owned by professionals as they were so expensive.

-Mike

David J Taylor August 30th 05 07:50 AM

wrote:
Hi,
I am a newcomer to photography.Just tell me the difference between a
SLR and SLR like camera.For example Canon EOS 350D is an (D)SLR and
Fuji S5500 is called an 'SLR like' camera..By single lens reflex I
suppose that what you see through the view finder is what you are
going to get as the image.i.e front end optics for both the
viewfinder and image capturing mechanism are same.

Both of these cameras satisfies my definition.But only one is
qualified as an SLR why ??

Current usage may include the term ZLR (zoom lens reflex) to describe
SLR-like cameras (although I don't particularly care for the term myself).
These cameras tend to have the same shape as an SLR, and have the manual
controls which are lacking in the simple point-and-shoot flat bodied
cameras. There is a newsgroup devoted to such ZLR cameras he

rec.photo.digital.zlr

Some people demand that on an SLR, the reflex part must be achieved with
mirrors, whereas on the ZLR the reflex is electronic. This does limit the
quality of the reflex finder, and may prevent highly accurate viewing such
as depth-of-field preview or manual focus. For this group,
interchangeable lenses and complete systems of add-ons distinguish the SLR
from the ZLR.

David

Toa August 30th 05 08:20 AM

Both of these cameras satisfies my definition.But only one is qualified
as an SLR why ??

This website may help
http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_dictionary.html

From there

ZLR - Zoom Lens Reflex, a term coined by Olympus to describe their fixed
mount lens SLR type cameras. An SLR camera has interchangeable lenses, a ZLR
has a non-removeable zoom lens.

Toa

Beach Bum August 30th 05 04:57 PM

"Mike Warren" wrote in
message

I don't quite understand why since I thought "reflex" referred to
the moving mirror.

AFAIK it does.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Martin Francis August 30th 05 07:02 PM

"Mike Warren" wrote in
message eenews.net...
wrote:
Hi,
I am a newcomer to photography.Just tell me the difference between a
SLR and SLR like camera.For example Canon EOS 350D is an (D)SLR and
Fuji S5500 is called an 'SLR like' camera..By single lens reflex I
suppose that what you see through the view finder is what you are
going to get as the image.i.e front end optics for both the
viewfinder and image capturing mechanism are same.

Both of these cameras satisfies my definition.But only one is
qualified as an SLR why ??

The term that seems to be used most often with cameras that
have an electronic view finder is ZLR (Zoom Lens Reflex). See
rec.photo.digital.zlr.

Technically, AFAIK, there are only two DZLRs- the Olympus E10 and E20. They
have (non-interchangeable) zoom lenses, and use a mirror and prism to form
the viewfinder image.

I don't quite understand why since I thought "reflex" referred to
the moving mirror.

This is true. It's also why a camera with an EVF shouldn't be a ZLR.

Martin.

frederick August 30th 05 11:10 PM

Beach Bum wrote:
"Mike Warren" wrote in
message

I don't quite understand why since I thought "reflex" referred to
the moving mirror.

AFAIK it does.

Does the mirror in a rolleiflex move?

Bart van der Wolf August 30th 05 11:49 PM

"frederick" wrote in message
SNIP
Does the mirror in a rolleiflex move?

In some it does, in the twin lens reflex (TLR) it doesn't.

Bart

JMW August 31st 05 12:57 PM

frederick wrote:
Beach Bum wrote:

"Mike Warren" wrote in
message

I don't quite understand why since I thought "reflex" referred to
the moving mirror.

AFAIK it does.

Does the mirror in a rolleiflex move?

in my sl2000f, yes.

Jan

no one August 31st 05 11:50 PM

wrote:

Hi,
I am a newcomer to photography.Just tell me the difference between a
SLR and SLR like camera.For example Canon EOS 350D is an (D)SLR and
Fuji S5500 is called an 'SLR like' camera..By single lens reflex I
suppose that what you see through the view finder is what you are going
to get as the image.i.e front end optics for both the viewfinder and
image capturing mechanism are same.

Both of these cameras satisfies my definition.But only one is qualified
as an SLR why ??

I think they're making a distinction between a camera with
interchangeable lenses (SLR) and a camera with a fixed
non-interchangeable lens (SLR like).

The Fuji S5500 appears to be a SLR, just one without interchangable
lenses. Looks to me like when you look through the viewfinder, you're
looking through the taking lens. And that's the definition of a SLR,
i.e. Single Lens Reflex camera.